Trish's Reviews > The Complete Calvin and Hobbes

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson

I dimly remembered having seen this comic in a German newspaper when I was little. THAT'S how famous Calvin and Hobbes was/is!
Then I noticed that I unconsciously knew a lot of lines from the comic so I started looking into it and fell in love with the cute artwork and deep messages so I bought the complete edition.

This box consists of 4 books: the first has all the comics from 1985-1986; the second those from 1987-1989; the third those from 1990-1992; and the fourth contains all the comics from 1992-1995.
Moreover, the first book has a long (but not boring) introduction by Bill Watterson himself in which he explains how Calvin and Hobbes came to be, what his creative drive was and also a little bit about his private life.

Now, I don't think I need to say a lot about the comics themselves, so I'll keep this short:
Calvin is a very imaginative young boy who has an imaginary friend: Hobbes, a stuffed tiger. And together they have the most awesome adventures.

The comics have a very wide range. What's so fascinating is that kids will just see the funny jokes and cute art while adults can also get deeper into the hidden messages. Bill Watterson really is masterful in hiding (for example) political criticism in just a handful of panels! One can see the development of the comic when reading the strips one after the other the way I did, but he was always artful and always had something to say.

Some of the themes include friedship

or young love (although ... come to think of it, it still works this way with many adults, too)

or well-known problems from the parents' perspectives

or, as mentioned before, deep political views such as this

To me, this isn't just a comic. It's a very important, very big part of culture and should be known by as many people around the world as possible! And I plan to read these strips again and again and again.
Oh, by the way, my favourite quote is this:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Calvin and Hobbes.

Quotes Trish Liked

Bill Watterson
“I wish I had more friends, but people are such jerks. If you can just get most people to leave you alone, you're doing good. If you can find even one person you really like, you're lucky. And if that person can also stand you, you're really lucky.”

Bill Watterson
“Reality continues to ruin my life.”

Bill Watterson
“Isn't it sad how some people's grip on their lives is so precarious that they'll embrace any preposterous delusion rather than face an occasional bleak truth?”

Bill Watterson
“It's going to be a grim day when the world is run by a generation that doesn't know anything but what it's seen on TV.”

August 29, 2015 – Shelved
August 29, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
August 31, 2015 – Started Reading
page 43
page 88
page 360
24.73% "I'm done with the first of four books now ... thats 1985 through 1987. \n The comic strips are really cool - and very philosophical at times. And yes, I also find them cute. \n \n "
September 5, 2015 –
page 728
September 7, 2015 –
page 1092
75.0% "Watterson really seems to have gotten better over the years (which does NOT mean the first comics were bad). \n What still excites me the most is that kids can look at it for its cuteness while the strips always also have a message."
September 8, 2015 – Finished Reading