Leigh's Reviews > Tigana

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay

Jan 01, 2011

bookshelves: favorites

I finished this book for the first time this morning, and the first thing I wonder is why it took me so long to read this book, and secondly why Guy Gavriel Kay is not better-known and better-read author. My favorite books before reading th...is were also his, The Fionavar Tapestry, and this book may have displaced them at the top. Kay's writing is beautiful and magnificent, it draws you in and doesn't let you go. Through this book I was heartbroken, crying, excited, happy, empathetic.. - this book takes the reader through a genuine full spectrum of emotions. I was never bored. This is a rare, genuine, stand-alone epic fantasy - Magic, Memory, Treason, Love, Honor, Freedom, Identity, and Bittersweet Justice. An extremely simplistic description of the plot is that it is the story of a magical county fighting for it's identity, freedom and survival. This book truly encompasses "epic". Kay "brightly weaves" intricate landscapes, characters, interwoven plot pieces and just a simply and truly amazing story that left me pondering very deep subjects. However applicable this fantasy may be in real world context of history and memory exploration, it is a simply amazing fantasy that can be enjoyed by many. I read another review that I will quote here, "If Guy Gavriel Kay wrote it, you need to read it". This book definitely needs to be toward the top of the list. Simply amazing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tigana.

Quotes Leigh Liked

Guy Gavriel Kay
“There are no wrong turnings. Only paths we had not known we were meant to walk.”
Guy Gavriel Kay, Tigana

Guy Gavriel Kay
“The heart has its own laws... and the truth is... the truth is that you are the law of mine.”
Guy Gavriel Kay, Tigana