Jenny's Reviews > The Thirteenth Tale

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Jan 01, 2011

liked it
Read on January 01, 2011

I'm not a frequent mystery reader so my opinions should be taken with a grain of salt (Annie, I'm talking to you since you hated this book!). In fact, I didn't go into it thinking of it as a mystery at all so perhaps that affected my expectations for plot twists and intrigue.

Once the story got out of the initial "I did this today then Vida said this stuff" back and forth structure, I was interested to find out Vida's story. I found the narrator's obsession with her twin a bit tiresome and not compelling enough for me to care about.

What I found most confusing about this book was that I couldn't figure out the years it was set in. At first I just thought the main character was quaint (she does live in an antiquarian bookstore) and that was why she wrote letters and didn't use the internet. Also, Aurelius comes out of nowhere and could not as easily transition to a friendly companion in this day and age, I suspect.

This would be a good companion book to "Her Fearful Symmetry." In the "identical twins are crazy" genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thirteenth Tale.