Katie's Reviews > A Matter of Time, Vol. 1

A Matter of Time, Vol. 1 by Mary Calmes

Well, for my first foray into the books of Mary Calmes (what took me so fucking long?) I did it wrong.

See, I started with the first book of a series and didn’t have any idea it was a spinoff of another series. This one.

I’ve since devoured them all like the reading fiend I am. Work has been a special kind of bitch as of late, and I’m really behind on writing reviews. So I’ll be reviewing out of reading order and instead in book order since that’s more along the lines of how my brain likes to work. Usually.

I absolutely adored this book. Because of my little error in reading the spinoff first, I was jonesing HARD for Sam Kage and the tiny little glimpse I got of his significant other. I was over-the-moon ecstatic to learn HE HAD HIS OWN COMPLETE SERIES or else I'd have gotten lost in a book hangover.

I’ve been puzzling something out because these characters and these books are wildly hilarious and almost over the top, yet felt weirdly akin to some kind of...something. I had a eureka moment that I can’t wait to share:

Jory and Sam are a ship of an adult Dennis the Menace and a young (super-stud) Mr. Wilson.

dennis_the_menace3
Yep. That was my oh-so-profound epiphany--and in my head, it's not gross or weird at all.

Jory is…there are hardly words. He’s all over the place and gets himself into all kinds of trouble. Shit just falls out his mouth because he doesn’t have a filter. He’s kind of a slut, and every man he meets is instantly in love with him. But, it's easy to get beyond the eye-rolling and see that he has an idea of what he ultimately wants. He's untethered in a lot of ways when we first meet him, but he's got a heart of gold underneath the smartass. And it’s blatantly apparent early on that whoever he ends up with is going to have to be strong physically, mentally, and emotionally to keep up with, put up with, protect, and just love him for the absolute lovable exasperating man he is.

Sam Kage is absolutely the man for the job. He’s a larger than life Alpha, focused, and rational. Except...a little slow on the uptake to realizing he's gay or bi. And while these guys are polar opposites they fit in all kinds of beautiful ways. Sam. My god, I haven’t stopped drooling over this redwood tree of a man who simply cannot stay away from Jory.

The action and mayhem are…well, a bit ridiculous and far-fetched as the trouble snowballs. But, at its heart, it’s the kind of story that just tugged on every one of my heartstrings and kept my eyes glued to the kindle late into the night with its rapid-fire pace. I didn’t care if anything was far-fetched. I didn’t care that I had to lock up disbelief and swallow the key. The ride was a blast, and I was hooked from the first words, so much so I had to blaze through every book of the series with ravenous glee. It just worked. All of it. Spectacularly.

The only gripe I had was that Sam is out of frame for much of this. But that was wholly made up for by the sheer entertainment value of seeing the world through Jory’s eyes. I mean…you ever wish you could get in someone’s brain for a while, but you know you’d probably not find your way out? That’s Jory. And I didn’t want out of his brain for even a second.

This, y’all, is book crack at its finest.

Also posted on BackPorchReader.com.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Matter of Time, Vol. 1.

August 28, 2015 – Shelved
May 20, 2016 – Shelved as: read_2016
May 20, 2016 – Shelved as: t-series
May 20, 2016 – Shelved as: v-1st_person
May 20, 2016 – Shelved as: x-calmes-m_a_matter_of_time

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Wendy Awesome review !! I love Jory so much...lol ;) xoxo

Harper Miller I really liked the first two books in this series as well. Great review Katie!