Bridget Jack Jeffries's Reviews > The Dark Forest

The Dark Forest by Liu Cixin

Aug 28, 2015

bookshelves: science-fiction-fantasy

I continue to be amazed by this trilogy.

The Dark Forest starts out much slower than the first book. I initially found the protagonist, Luo Ji, even more infuriatingly insufferable than the first book's protagonist. I mean, Liu makes us slog through 15 pages about how this manboy dreams up some Cherry 2000 fantasy woman, and then manboy gets to say to the United Nations, "this is what I would like for you to find for me to put my dick in, because it will help me fight the aliens," and THE U.N. DOES IT. Guys, I wish I were making that up, but I'm not. THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS IN THIS BOOK.

But, slog through the Cherry 2000 pages I did, and the story does get better.

The characters in this book are actually better than in the last, with a bit more development, but Liu remains a weak character writer. But ah, that isn't why you're reading this series, is it? It's for the hard sci-fi, and there, TDF is just chilling and glorious, with a climax that I just couldn't put down.

Da Shi is back, though this time he isn't nearly as funny. And thanks to "hibernation technology," we get to fast forward 200 years in time while retaining some of the same characters. This series really feels quite epic in scope by the end of it.

Pacing remains a problem; Zhang Beihai's subplot isn't even remotely interesting until its end. And Liu's female characters are all pointless side-pieces. There hasn't been a significant woman in this series since Ye Wenjie in the first book.

But, still. That ending, and the revolution of the "Dark Forest" nature of the universe... just wow. Can't wait for the third book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Forest.

August 28, 2015 – Started Reading
August 28, 2015 – Shelved
August 28, 2015 – Shelved as: science-fiction-fantasy
September 1, 2015 – Finished Reading

KIDDO K In the 3rd book, the protagonist/narrator is a woman. She is the most significant character in the trilogy. Sit tight!

Bridget Jack Jeffries KIDDO wrote: "In the 3rd book, the protagonist/narrator is a woman. She is the most significant character in the trilogy. Sit tight!"

I went ahead and read the plot teaser for the 3rd book on Thor.com and saw that. Will look forward to it!

message 3: by T.J.Hellson (new)

T.J.Hellson Cherry 2000 girl......haha
actually,this is a trick from liu.the girl's name "zhuangyan",sounds like"fake face"in chinese.so,she's more like a wallfacer to LuoJi.

Ryan Yan (sorry I'm new here and I don't know how to quote) @ T.J.Hellson In no way I can connect Zhuangyan with "fake face". In Chinese it's a homonym of "solemn and dignified", as mentioned once in the novel.
@OP, Beihai bears very high reputation in Chinese discussion forums; many rate him as high as Luo Ji. Stories of both of them will continue in book three... well, the prior is already deceased, so to put it exactly, his profound impacts continue...