Jessie's Reviews > The Ghost at the Table: A Novel

The Ghost at the Table by Suzanne Berne

F 50x66

I always love a good dysfunctional holiday family story, and this one didn't disappoint. Anyone who knows me has heard me go on ad nauseam about my theory of subjective reality, and this book is to a large extent about that. Is it great literature? No, but it's extremely readable and engaging, and keeps you guessing as you think about families and the way we all individually perceive and process group experiences.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghost at the Table.

Started Reading
January 1, 2008 – Finished Reading
January 27, 2008 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Mariya (new)

Mariya She has an AWESOME column in this month's Vogue. Very self-reflective and unsparing in its vivisection of her family's attitudes toward beauty. If this book is anything like that, I'll read it.

Jessie I'll have to look the column up! There is definitely an aspect to the book that has to do with beauty, but it's more specifically about how we sort of create our image of ourselves and our past. Surface presentation/surface "perfection", and the tension between that and our perception of what is real, was where I saw the book's focus.

Don't want to say too much more because the book is in some ways a mystery - or maybe that's just because mysteries have always been my true genre love.

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Jesse, my name is debkatz and I am new to goodreads. I read your comments regarding "The Ghost At the Table" and I was intrigued with your views. I would like to read more of you reviews, especially since you cited your predilection for "subjective reality". I just didn't want you to think I was a cyber-weirdo. My profile is there if you're interested, as is my blog. I'm entering a doctoral program in Health Psych next month, hence my interests in your review. Thanks again. Hope to see you around. deb