Jasper Smit's Reviews > Parlour Games for Modern Families

Parlour Games for Modern Families by Myfanwy Jones

bookshelves: 2011

I've been wanting this book for months! There are so many fun games to play in here, most of them really easy to set up only requiring simple household objects. This book is great when i have friends over and there is a lull in energy (and conversation) after dessert.

My favourite so far: Spot the Difference! All players but one go out of the room. The remaining player now changes five things in the room: like the hands on a clock, the way a lamp is positioned of the placement of ornaments. The other players return and the first to spot all five differences declares them. If right, the player wins, if not, others get to try to find all the differences.

The only thing that bugs me about the book is the incessant false nostalgia. Every few pages, we are reminded that we used to play these games, but now we have forgoten what it means to have fun, we just watch tv and never talk to each other. Apart from this being untrue, I find nostalgia palatable in only tiny amounts, and when people look back longingly at a time when they weren't even alive yet, it is just nonsensical. But even when i'm on my high horse, this is a great book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parlour Games for Modern Families.

January 1, 2011 – Shelved