CC's Reviews > Dance with the Devil

Dance with the Devil by Sherrilyn Kenyon

bookshelves: hero-i-love, pnr, safe-for-me, safe-but-other-triggers, series, hoopla, audiobooks-owned
Read 3 times. Last read May 7, 2019.

There are already tons of reviews with significant information about the plot so I will try to be brief.

I loved the hero Zarek. I feel pain and sorrow thinking about his life both before and after he became an immortal. The facts of his life are HORRIBLE. It is not possible to not be affected by it. So this is not an easy book to read. I will say that this did not make me cry. It made me rage! I wanted to hurt something/someone. I found myself taking long walks to work off some steam. I was not satisfied that those who did him wrong got theirs. Which makes me ragey going into future books. Frankly, I am annoyed by Asheron. He subjugates himself to that bitch whore Artemis and others pay the price, like Zared. The ending scene with them made me want to puke. I am not having warm and fuzzy feelings towards him anymore.

Astrid was awesome. She was probably the perfect match for Zared. She took some drastic measures to help him, but I was on board.

Simi is just the best character! I need to have my own Simi! Who would not want a baby dragon demon of their own?! Playing "this little piggy" on her toes....Plus she hates the bitch whore as much as I do - although she calls her the heifer goddess.

Just about everyone else...I am pretty pissed at the lot of them because of how they treated Zared. I think only Jess and Spawn are surviving my anger right now. They were all vicious and cruel to him. Granted they were told falsehoods - thanks to Ash and Artemis. But for the assholes in New Orleans to treat him like crap after saving their asses - Totally inexcusable!

This story is about finding truth, redemption and love. There is a lot of time spent reliving Zared's past. At some point I had enough and I felt I was being bashed over the head with the same stuff. I appreciated that Zared, while having zero self esteem and self worth, did not seek death or martyrdom.

The romance is not so much romance as healing Zared with her acceptance and friendship, but yet it was romantic. There were lots of little moments between them that were funny and sweet. There was a lot of action and I was happy with how everything wrapped up. There were also not so many characters that I could not keep up.

Safety Gang notes (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dance with the Devil.

August 28, 2015 – Shelved
August 28, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 1, 2016 – Started Reading
January 1, 2016 –
5.0% "Not loving the heroine lusting after Ash. But I love the hero!"
January 1, 2016 –
25.0% "OMG this book is wrecking me! His childhood was too horrible for words!"
January 2, 2016 –
70.0% "I LOVE Simi!!! TOO funny!"
January 2, 2016 – Shelved as: hero-i-love
November 5, 2017 – Finished Reading
January 31, 2018 – Shelved as: audiobooks-owned
Started Reading
May 7, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

message 1: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika Oh whoops. I said erroneously that I read this book. It was book 5 I think I read. One of these days I may read this though.

message 2: by CC (new) - rated it 4 stars

CC So far this is really good. I love the hero. But he is super duper tortured. Had a horrible human life and a horrible immortal life. I hate everyone for how they treated him.

Jasbell76 I LOVE Zarek so much!!!! (*_*)

message 4: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika Oh there is a character who gets his own book who treats him like utter crap. Can't remember the guy's name but his family tortured Zarek. Then he just treats Zarek like crap despite supposedly feeling guilt. Maybe it is Valerius? Total ass.

~Nichole~  Sizzling Pages Romance Reviews Had to dnf this one. Just didn't work

message 6: by CC (new) - rated it 4 stars

CC I am so skeeved out by Artemis and Acheron. I am tempted to jump to Acheron's book next to see her get some payback. But I hear I have to tolerate sex scenes between the two at some point and I am not sure I can do that without being physically ill!

Vashti Archeron's book just about gutted me whole!!!
Styxx's is another gut buster!

message 8: by CC (new) - rated it 4 stars

CC Then I guess no reading when I have to see people!

message 9: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika Great review CC!! I think I would have a really hard time reading this due to how everyone else treats Zarek. I am afraid it is going to make me rage as well and I may not be satisfied by the end. One of these days, I will try to be be brave and read it!! Zarek and Astrid sound great.

By the way, did you get more info as to why Valerius treated Zarek like dirt in book 2? He really looked at Zarek as like ... a lower caste and very unworthy.

message 10: by CC (new) - rated it 4 stars

CC Oh it was not his treatment of Zared that enrages me! Although I got no further info in it. He is the one that tortured and killed Kyrian and screwed his wife in front of him! I have no clue how I could stomach his book. He is a vile creature!

message 11: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika Seriously? Yikes. I didn't know that part. I never finished Kyrian's book.

Geez this series has some major drama and trauma and angst pasts!!!

message 12: by CC (new) - rated it 4 stars

CC Yep Not sure how much of it will work for me, but I am going to try to take it slow.

message 13: by Ashleyjo (new)

Ashleyjo Cc, this doesn't sound like your kinda book. I'm surprised *insert shocked face*

message 14: by CC (new) - rated it 4 stars

CC LOL. I liked this one. I actually like these books so long as they don't get too crazy or trip my big cheating trigger.

Vashti Enjoyed your gables CC.Zarek is one of my fav characters.Enjoy your reads.I must say that I did have to dnf the latest book in this series. :(.It was so confusing that I could not keep up.

Vashti Sorry,typo...gables should have been ..review....

message 17: by CC (new) - rated it 4 stars

CC I have heard that from a couple of folks. I think it will be a long time before I reach that point. What did you think of Valerius getting book? I just can't imagine it when he is such an evil SOB.

Vashti As I remember,I did enjoy his book,it has been a while since I read the earlier books in the series.Quite a few of the heros are prior " bad"guys..

Vashti I should not day " quite" ,but a " few",Stryker being one of them.

Vashti The majority of the heros have horrible,abusive pasts.

message 21: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya Love your review, I felt the same way as you. Loved Zarek but how they treated him was inexcusable. Glad he's found someone to love. :)

message 22: by CC (new) - rated it 4 stars

CC Thanks Maya. Saw you read and loved it. Zarek is great and shows up in later books.

message 23: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya CC wrote: "Thanks Maya. Saw you read and loved it. Zarek is great and shows up in later books."

So glad to hear we're getting more from him. :)