Rebecca's Reviews > My Family and Other Superheroes

My Family and Other Superheroes by Jonathan   Edwards

bookshelves: poetry

Edwards displays his proud Welsh heritage with poems reflecting on his family tree (e.g. “Building my Grandfather,” which starts “He comes flat-pack”) and the country’s landscape. One of my favorites was “View of Valleys Village from a Hill,” in which the narrator, with a God’s-eye view of his family, envisions messing around with them. The witty “In John F. Kennedy International Airport” imagines that Wales has been abolished and recreated in miniature in a small Kansas museum (a bit like Julian Barnes’s England, England).

Many of the later poems are profiles of ordinary folk – bouncers, karaoke singers, the girl behind the counter at Starbucks, and so on:

“the plumbers and plasterers, the ’leccies and lackeys, / the lofty young shifters and shifty old lifters, / the chippies and butties, the world and his mate.”

“His belly over his shorts is a landslide / which traps for days a hillside family cottage, / a school, a church, an entire alpine village”

The enjambment across stanzas, plus the way first lines often continue a phrase a title has started, means these are fluid and readable as well as humorous. (Winner of the 2014 Costa Poetry award.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Family and Other Superheroes.

August 28, 2015 – Started Reading