Masooma's Reviews > Saint Anything

Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen

it was ok

I was pretty much over the moon that I was gonna be reading my 1st Sarah Dessen novel. But my final reaction when I slapped shut this book was:

description

Because:

1- An unusual pace: fast at times and very slow and dragged the other times.

2- An average story: kind of straight forward sans any twists and turns, not really my cup of tea.

3- An average description and minimum feels: for instance, when Dessen describes all friends hanging out together, I didn't get any feels. I wasn't excited when I had to be neither was I sad when I was supposed to be. So zero connection.

4- Weak characters: except for a few, most of the characters were hollow as though undecided maybe.

Mac was a good boy and that's it. He had no negative side. He was a mamma's boy + a believer + a hard worker + always at girls' rescue +silently doing what ordered by his dad + studious + his sisters' chauffeur. You see? No balance in personality.
Peyton was bad and that's all. He got from bad to worse to worst with no breaks.
Eric started off good, suddenly decided to be a spoilt brat. Excuse me? When did that happen?
Mr Peyton Stanford was deaf, dumb and mute who pledged on the bible to never ever interfere in family matters. In exchange, he was allowed to eat and eat and go for his business trips, oh and eat.
Mommy Julie Stanford, introducing the villain

description

Infinitely interfering, bossy and selfish. Ma'am where did all the motherhood go?
And Layla's mum, a fallen angel with a visible angel's crown on top.

5- Sketchy relationships: Sydney's relationship with her former friends, Jess and Meredith was full of holes, a half package which got in and out of the picture when need be. Layla's relationship with her boyfriend appeared unnecessary and silly as was the way they met. Mac and Sydney took a long long time to become one.

6-A rushed up ending: the ending was definitely put together in haste and it did not leave me satisfied.

The Plus though: the story zoomed in on the problems the second child faces when the elder one lands himself into trouble, how the child is neglected and becomes invisible. This was the part where I enjoyed Saint Anything. Feel for yourself:

My mom was already in bed, my dad shut away in his office on a call. I'd done the right thing. I always did. It just would have been nice if someone had noticed.

The best though, of course, were the pizzas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saint Anything.

Finished Reading
August 28, 2015 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Oh my gosh. Your perspective is always so honest interesting, entertaining and very well thought-out, Masooma. Man, I'm sorry though that this didn't work for you though. I really hope your next read is better. Awesome review, my friend.^^

Masooma Aww thank you, amazing Aj ^-^ I hope too. :)

message 3: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia Nice review!

message 4: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia And it sounds a bit like Between Us and the Moon by Rebecca Maizel for me, what with the second child thing. I've been waiting to read this book too as this might also be my first book from Dessen. But now I'm not ao sure about picking it up. I'm sorry it didn't work you...

Masooma Thanks, buddy. :) Haven't read this one you're talking about. Well, I hope you like it if you decide about reading this Dessen book.

message 6: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia Yes, hopefully :)

message 7: by Chantal (new)

Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway) Excellent review, Masooma! I haven't read any Sarah Dessen yet and after reading your thoughts I don't think I'm going to make this one my first.

message 8: by Marla Mei (new) - added it

Marla Mei Aww sad you didn't love this :( I hope your next Sarah Dessen book is better. Try This Lullaby. It's my first Dessen book and a favorite of mine too. :)

Alafiya Spot on, babe!

message 10: by Diana (new) - added it

Diana Ouma Great review! Don't give up on Sarah Dessen , you should check out her previous novels ... Some of them were stellar! :D

Masooma Diana wrote: "Great review! Don't give up on Sarah Dessen , you should check out her previous novels ... Some of them were stellar! :D"

Yep, I'll definitely won't give up, probably gonna try This Lullaby

Masooma Chantal: thanks. ^-^ I hope you get your hands on a really good one and thoroughly enjoy it. :)

Marla: Sure thing, sweet friend. I'm gonna try This Lullaby asap. ;)

Alafiya: haha, thanks :D

message 13: by Carissa (new)

Carissa Great honest review, Masooma.

message 14: by Tabetha (new) - added it

Tabetha Loved your review!!! The same novel can affect people so differently!!

Masooma Thank you guys. ^-^

Rachel Maniacup I totally agree with everything that Aj said here,Masooma! And your review is totally awesome!^^

Masooma Thank you, Rachel :)