Alison's Reviews > Beauty and the Werewolf

Beauty and the Werewolf by Kristin Miller

it was ok
bookshelves: 2015-read, shifters

I can't really work out whether I have a high tolerance for bullshit or whether I just reserve my wrath for the truly dreadful.

There was nothing awful about this book. Spelling and grammar were good enough to escape notice. Nothing the characters did was especially heinous. And yet ... it was bleah.

Even worse, I paid £2.36 for this book! I know it's not a fortune but honestly it's £2.36 more than I would pay for it now.

Isabelle is a secret painter. She is the heir to the Irish Werewolf pack and her father/Alpha doesn't like her 'wasting her time' on painting. Her father is dying and she wants him to see her entire oeuvre of work (all creatively titled "Werewolf in ..." and featuring, wait for it, a werewolf!). She is trying to track down the final 12 paintings and goes to an auction in San Francisco where she is outbid by Jack MacGrath. No-one knows that the painter Bella North is really Isabelle Connolly. The McGraths and the Connollys have been enemies for decades because the McGraths profiteered from fellow refugees.

Jack is 320 years old. Without a mate (or Luminary as they are called) that is 20 years longer than expected and he is dying slowly but surely. The only thing keeping him alive is regular literal and metaphorical adrenaline shots. When Jack and Isabelle meet at the auction house he 'knows' that she is his Luminary - that is unfair, he feels the unmistakeable physical signs but she (apparently) does not. jack has collected Bella Nolan pictures for years and has all 12 missing pieces. He tries to spend more time with her, for somewhat selfish reasons, by only letting her know about one picture at a time - although in his defence he doesn't know she wants them for an exhibition for her dying father.

There was no character development, I didn't care one way or another for Jack or Isabelle, the other characters were totally non-descript. The sex was both overdone and glossed over - not sexy. The story was predictable and trite.

I'll admit that I have a soft spot for formulaic romance but this missed the mark for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty and the Werewolf.

Started Reading