Sarah's Reviews > The Color of Lost Rooms

The Color of Lost Rooms by Irene Latham

Dec 31, 2010

bookshelves: new-reads

I received this as a goodreads giveaway book.

The Color of Lost Rooms by Irene Latham was different than any other collection of poems I’ve read. I enjoyed the mix of references to literature, history and art. In a way, many of the poems were very postmodern in that they might describe a piece of art while imagining what was happening at the time it was painted, or what might happen once the paining is compete. There is even a “Postcard from Mars” included. Among my favorite pieces about art was actually the second poem, “My Dress Hangs There”. It was a wonderful way to incorporate both Frida Kahlo’s personal history and work of art and suppose what could have been. Very imaginative.

I also enjoyed the poems about family, and some of the pain that is such a reality for most all of us. Poems like “Love Poem with Christmas Lights” and “Black Dress” really hit home for me and described feelings of loss that are so hard to attach words to.

For those historical figures and events that are written about (such as “Abe Lincoln Speaks of Mary Todd”, “Audrey Hepburn at the Dance Studio” and “How the Sacagawea Got It’s Name”), although I may not know very much about them I very much appreciated Latham’s playfulness with them. For example, my favorite line was from the Audrey Hepburn poem which says, “…while I scratched/ dirt with fingers, unearthed/ tulip bulbs and ground them/ to flour…” I had read about this, but never imagined Hepburn doing it.

Overall a wonderful collection and I really enjoyed the opportunity to read it. Thank you.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Color of Lost Rooms.

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Black Dress was my favorite!