Lucia's Reviews > The Iron Daughter

The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

Dec 31, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Wow. Just, wow. This book just had its twists and turns. I swear, my jaw was probably hanging open (at least mentally) half the time.

I just love the way the author creates the characters. I love all of them, even if some aren't so nice (*coughMab* Hello, scary ice queen). Meghan is an amazing, strong girl. Many books have the heroine as a weak, dependent girl, and while Meghan does have several occasions in which she's the damsel in distress, she has her own head and a pretty good way with magic, too.

Ash. Ash, Ash, Ash. *stares off into space dreamily* I fell in love with him all over again in the end. I was rooting for him in the first book, and determined to see him with Meghan in the end of the second. He wasn't that great in the beginning, but I'm a romantic, and I just knew that he would come back in the end. It's just how my brain (or maybe my heart?) is set. Love always prevails, no matter what. :)

Puck. Poor, poor Puck. I liked him in the first book, but really, I could only think of him as a friend, the way Meghan saw him. In this book, I didn't really fall for him, but I started feeling like he might not have been so bad for Meghan, after all. (And that would leave Ash for me.) I felt really bad for him in the end. Poor kid.

Speaking of the ending, we're back to the "Love always prevails" thing. I was surprised, and yet, I kind of expected it. I knew Meghan would choose Ash, but I wasn't so sure about Ash. When I read the ending the first time, I was like "Yeah, ok. They end up together. They're banished. Big whoop. They have each other." But then I read it again, I thought about how hard it must have been for them. So now I'm just desperate for the next installment. I have to see what happens next! I was just dreading to finish this one, because it meant I would have to wait for the Iron Queen. On the bright side, only 24 more days until its release! *throws a little bit of confetti* I'm saving the rest for the actual day. ;)

P.S. I'm pretty sure they'll show up back in the Nevernever. That's just how books go, don't they? They always find a way. :)

... Maybe I should stop reading books in a cliche way and stop predicting what's going to happen and rather just get into them. Sigh...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Daughter.

Quotes Lucia Liked

Julie Kagawa
“I ached for him, my stomach twisting painfully. He looked so desolate standing there alone facing a mad queen and several thousand angry fey. His voice was flat and resigned, as if he'd been pushed into a corner and had given up, not caring what happened next.”

Julie Kagawa
“You ran a light anyway, dickhead!”

Julie Kagawa
“I was minding my own buisness long before you and the princess started humping like rabbits.”

Julie Kagawa
“What if I take you apart and turn you into a toaster oven, how would you like that tin can?”

Julie Kagawa
“Ash looked at me. I saw pain in his eyes, and a little regret, but they shone with such emotion I felt breathless. 'I already have.”

Julie Kagawa
“If you are going to do that, would you mind not jostling the bed so much?' came a sarcastic voice near the head board. 'Perhaps you could roll around on the floor.”

Julie Kagawa
“You're here, and the only dance I want is this one.”

Julie Kagawa
“You're kind of blind, you know?" Puck whispered, smiling to soften his words. "I wouldn't defy Oberon for just anyone. But, for you..." He leaned forward, touching his forehead to mine. "I'd come back from the dead for you.”
tags: puck

Julie Kagawa
“She pulled up Ash's shirt, revealing a layer of gauze that was just beginning to seep blood onto the mattress. "At least the bandaging was done properly," she mused. "Very nice, clean work. Your handiwork, I presume, Goodfellow?"
"Which one?"
"The bandage, Robin."
"Yeah, that was mine, too.”

Julie Kagawa
“She leaned forward, looking utterly inhuman, and I fought the urge to run screaming from the throne room. "I have heard of your exploits, Meghan Chase, " the queen rasped, narrowing her eyes. "Did you not think I would find out? You tricked a prince of the Unseelie Court into following you into the Iron Realm. You made him fight your enemies for you. You bound him to a contract that nearly killed him. My precious boy, almost lost to me forever, because of you. How do you think that makes me feel?" Mab's smile grew more predatory, as my stomach twisted in fear.”

Julie Kagawa
“I think ... I should go home soon. Mom and Luke are probably going nuts. What about you?"
He shrugged, a casual lift of one shoulder. "You tell me. When I left Nevernever, I didn't have any plans other than being with you. If you want me around, just say the word.”

Julie Kagawa
“Forgive me," Ash murmured, and I heard the faintest of tremors beneath his voice. "But I can't... I won't... give her up. Not now, when I've just found her."

-Ash”

Julie Kagawa
“Don't leave," I whispered, tightening my hold. "Never leave me again. Stay with me. Forever." The winter prince smiled, a small, easy smile, and lowered his lips to mine. "I promise.”

Julie Kagawa
“I'm not going to lose you again."
"SHE IS RIGHT."
We looked up. Ironhorse stood on the other side of the glass, watching us. His eyes glowed red in the darkness. "IT IS TOO DANGEROUS. FOR YOU."
I frowned. "What are you talking-"
"PRINCESS." Abruptly, he bowed. "IT HAS BEEN AN HONOR. WERE THINGS DIFFERENT, I WOULD GLADLY SERVE YOU UNTIL THE END OF TIME." He looked at Ash and nodded, as it suddenly dawned on me what he was implying. "SHE THINKS THE WORLD OF YOU, PRINCE. PROTECT HER WITH YOUR LIFE.”

December 31, 2010 – Started Reading