Mandie (Naughty Book Snitch)'s Reviews > Safe Words

Safe Words by Drury Jamison

Jun 27, 2017

bookshelves: author-arc, bdsm, suspense, mystery-thriller, femdom, adult-sexual-content, romance, read-2017, male-male, sissy, bisexual, m-m-f
Recommended for: People who love romantic suspense with little bit of kink and an open mind

Heat Level: 3 out of 4 flames
Overall: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Reviewed by Naughty Book Snitch: Mindy
See Mindy’s Blog Review Here

BUY THE BOOK

I received a copy of this book via the author in exchange for an honest review.

"Killing someone is hard work. Harder than it looks in the movies."

I loved this book! I've been struggling with a bit of burn out lately and this is exactly what I needed. This book has an amazing story with a bit of erotic romance and BDSM elements all throughout. In my opinion this has a perfect mix of murder, mystery, suspense and romance.

description

While investigating a possible serial killer, Detective Silver also discovers a lot about herself and what makes her happy. She meets Anderson through a mutual friend and he is Silver's "inside guy" that introduces her to the world of BDSM so she can catch a killer that is hiding in that world. This is where Silver starts to understand more about herself and finally figures out what has been missing in her life.

"If I wanted him, I had to make it happen. My responsibility. If I want to be happy, it's my choice to make. It's easy to say, but it is not just saying, today I'm going to be happy. You have to risk what you have this moment for what you want in the next."

There were times when Silver was getting on my nerves. She seemed to be a taker and not a giver when it came to Anderson. I get it that the BDSM lifestyle is new to her and this is exactly what men used to do with her, but you don't have to turn around and do the same thing to someone else, unless that is what they want. Which it's not what Anderson wanted. However, I really liked Silver's overall character as well as Anderson and all the other side characters. I think they were well developed and believable.

I really love all the local references. I was born and raised in Kansas City and still live here. KCK is my old stomping grounds and that is where all my family lives. Overland park, KCK, Northland, downtown area, just everywhere! I especially loved the reference to Missie B's, Hayes Hamburgers and several other local places. I use to go to Missie B's a lot in my 20's. I loved the Drag shows! All I remember is Flo. Probably because my sisters exgirlfriend use to bounce there. One thing I don't know is, where in the world are all the dungeons? But anyway... back to the story.

This was a fantastic mystery and it kept me guessing until it was time for me to know who, what, when and why! There were moments that made me feel like my heart was going to beat out of my chest and I couldn't read fast enough to find out what was going to happen next. I loved it!!

The sex was excellent! But my favorite part was at about 14% in when Silver was "like a cat marking her territory" . YAAASSSS! You go girl!!

description

I also liked the first meeting that Silver and Anderson had. I really hate anything to do with feet, so this is pretty significant for me. Very well done! Bravo! Actually all the sex scenes are really good and erotic.

description

So why 4.5 stars? Only because there were moments in the middle of this book that seemed to drag on. I couldn't pinpoint which one, but sometimes I was tired of hearing about Silver's internal struggle with drinking and not knowing who she is and how she didn't want Anderson around unless she wanted to use him for something. All I really wanted was to read more about the investigation.

One thing I don't like (but has nothing to do with my rating) while reading any book is the overuse of the word "passion". It's worse than the word "moist. The word Passion is not overused in this book and is probably only used 3 or 4 times. The reason I bring it up is because I think that word gets overused so much that it really stands out to me when I read. I have come to hate that word and anytime I hear it, I cringe. I'm not a wordsmithing word wizard so I have no idea what you would use in its place. That is just my personal opinion and issue. I'm sure 99.9% of the people out there are fine with that word, I'm just the weird one.

Overall this entire book is a great read and will keep you glued to the pages. There is a reason why this book won the BDSM Writers Con Golden Flogger Award for Best BDSM book of the year. I loved it :)

My favorite quote:

"Do you know what the difference is between sexy and kinky? Sexy is when you use a feather while making love. Kinky is when you use the whole chicken."

BUY THE BOOK

Click below for more Naughty Book Snitch reviews
NBS

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Safe Words.

August 26, 2015 – Shelved
August 26, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November 27, 2015 – Shelved as: author-arc
June 4, 2017 – Started Reading
June 10, 2017 –
14.0% "Oh my goodness! Chapter 6!!! You go girl :) Own that shit!
description"
June 27, 2017 – Shelved as: bisexual
June 27, 2017 – Shelved as: m-m-f
June 27, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Pam (new)

Pam Great review, Mindy :)

Mandie (Naughty Book Snitch) Pam wrote: "Great review, Mindy :)"