Kai's Reviews > This Savage Song

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab

liked it
bookshelves: owned, 2016, finished-series
Read 2 times. Last read August 10, 2016 to August 14, 2016.

"It was a cycle of whimpers and bangs, gruesome beginnings and bloody ends."

I've read The Archived and The Unbound. I've read Vicious and The Near Witch, I've read A Darker Shade of Magic and A Gathering of Shadows.
I've read every YA and Adult Fantasy novel Victoria Schwab has written, and compared to all of them, This Savage Song fell flat.

I love Victoria Schwab. Her writing is stunning, her stories unique, her characters intriguing. This Savage Song had all of this, but much less than her previous works.

Plot:
This is such a promising story, such an exciting dystopian setting. Monsters and songs, action and thrill. Thing is, I expected a little more. I'm not exactly disappointed, but there's room for more suspense and adventure.
I welcomed "Romeo and Juliet minus romance" with open arms. It's great that the stereotypical male plus female protagonists didn't fall in love for once. I don't need romance...but I can't lie that it makes things a little more exciting. Now I'm not sure if one or both of the main characters are asexual, aromantic, pansexual or something completely different. All of them would be great. But a little love in the sequel would spice things up nicely.
The story was also slightly predictable, the writing adding to its predictability. Sometimes a little repetitive, I often expected what was coming next and foresaw several smaller and bigger details.

Characters:
Fan of August, not a fan of Kate. While he seems like a sensitive and relatable character, she seems unnecessarily cruel and cold. I'm not exactly sure if Kate is 16 or 18 but she sure is smart enough to differentiate between establishing respect and downright bullying. However big her daddy issues, it's just not cool.
Overall I felt like most characters weren't as real and refined as usual. Both of them lacked somewhat in character depth in my opinion.

In a nutshell: Great work, but lacking in finesse in several aspects. It just couldn't live up to Schwab's previous works.

Find more of my books on Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Savage Song.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
August 26, 2015 – Shelved
August 26, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
July 22, 2016 – Shelved as: owned
August 10, 2016 – Started Reading
August 14, 2016 –
page 104
24.36% "I love Victoria Schwab"
August 14, 2016 –
page 233
54.57% "Run, Monster, Run "
August 14, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016
August 14, 2016 – Finished Reading
June 20, 2017 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
June 20, 2017 – Shelved as: finished-series (Paperback Edition)
November 24, 2017 – Shelved as: finished-series
November 24, 2017 – Shelved as: owned (Paperback Edition)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Ryan Sorry you didn't enjoy this much. Great review, nonetheless! I've yet to read a Victoria Schwab book...I know, I know, I'll get on that soon, I promise.

message 2: by Kai (new) - added it

Kai Well at least you know your sins :D one should always read Schwab books

Catarina (TravelerBetweenWorlds) Kate is all like that, Victoria herself said that was hard to get inside of Kate's head, she closes herself so much... and I think that's because Kate is the way she is...

Maybe you like better the following book, I hope you do anyway...
Nice review btw.

message 4: by Kai (new) - added it

Kai I hope so too, I'm looking forward to reading it. And thanks :)

Giulia China I agree with you, its missing something, but I have to say that if this book was from a random writer and not V.E I would have given it a 5 star.

message 6: by Kai (new) - added it

Kai Giulia wrote: "I agree with you, its missing something, but I have to say that if this book was from a random writer and not V.E I would have given it a 5 star."

Probably true :D I would have given at least 4 stars. The better the author, the higher the expectations. At some point you stop comparing it to other books and instead focus on the author's previous works, because they're so exceptional.

Giulia China Kai wrote: "Giulia wrote: "I agree with you, its missing something, but I have to say that if this book was from a random writer and not V.E I would have given it a 5 star."

Probably true :D I would have give..."

Totally get it, also after reading one of her book, I usually find myself giving lower ratings to the books in the weeks after XD I keep on comparing them to hers!

message 8: by Kai (last edited Mar 18, 2017 04:09PM) (new) - added it

Kai Giulia wrote: "Kai wrote: "Giulia wrote: "I agree with you, its missing something, but I have to say that if this book was from a random writer and not V.E I would have given it a 5 star."

Probably true :D I wou..."

Yes authors have to do a lot to live up to Victoria Schwab

Shenx_bookhoarder Exactly how I feel about the book.

message 10: by Kai (last edited Apr 08, 2018 12:51PM) (new) - added it

Kai Shenx_bookhoarder wrote: "Exactly how I feel about the book."

The sequel was much better though!

Rimsha I couldn’t have said it better myself! Victoria Schwab is so amazing and her other books are so freaking awesome. But this one did lack something

message 12: by Kai (new) - added it

Kai Rimsha wrote: "I couldn’t have said it better myself! Victoria Schwab is so amazing and her other books are so freaking awesome. But this one did lack something"

I'm just glad the sequel picked up plot and characterwise.