Harry Whitewolf's Reviews > anemogram.

anemogram. by Rebecca Gransden

28206267

bookshelves: general-fiction

Y’know how with some books, you just keep reading the next bit, and before you know it, what should’ve been thirty minutes’ reading has turned into several hours. This was one of those books. I’ve just raced through it in two sittings.

Sure, there are plenty of questions to be had from the offset, so you want to keep reading to find the answers, but this book is also the exact opposite of using any such devices as cliffhangers. It doesn’t even use a chapter format to enhance the reader’s curiosity. Sure, you’ll keep reading to try to discover more, but above any plot situations, it’s simply Rebecca Gransden’s writing style that will pull you in. It’s actually hard to believe that this is a debut, because the author writes with an expert descriptive panache that will warm you inside and bring a small smile to the corner of your lip, yet you won’t know why you’re smiling. Then you’ll realise that you’re smiling because Gransden’s words are simply: that good! This is up there with those few Indie books I consider to be worthy of mass attention.

Right from the word go, you’re just there. In the story. There’s no lead in. No explanation. You’re just there. When I realised I was already a third of the way through in no time at all, if someone had have asked me, “So, what’s happened?”, the answer would have been, “Not much.” This is a good thing. A very good thing. Not much happens at all, and yet that’s also completely untrue…so much happens that I’m still left pondering on much of it.

The setting alone is brilliantly chosen. The lost little girl protagonist of anemogram survives by living off the land, but in modern England, this means: off the edge of the land. Cities and towns are avoided. Instead, we wander through motorways, construction sites, car parks, drive-thru McDonalds, old shacks and the middle of nowhere. The urban sprawl that has invaded the countryside more and more and continues to do so, plays an important part in this book; just by it being the location.

Innocence. Kindness. Cruelty. Freedom. Childhood. Nature. Human nature. Timelessness. Change. Life. Death. These are just a few words that spring to mind when thinking about anemogram.

There are also a few short stories throughout , told by someone called Tinker; who plays a pivotal, but background, role in this book. These short stories are especially wonderful, and I particularly liked the one about humans and birds living below in the soft mud of the Earth, leaving the trees to claim the topsoil land as its own.

Any negative criticism then? Nope.

Hurry up with the next book please Rebecca.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read anemogram..

August 26, 2015 – Shelved
August 26, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
October 5, 2015 – Started Reading
October 6, 2015 – Shelved as: general-fiction
October 6, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Gransden Thanks so much, Harry :)