-ya's Reviews > Heart-Shaped Hack

Heart-Shaped Hack by Tracey Garvis Graves

it was ok

In short, the characters, and dialogue fell flat.

This is my first book by the author and I had such a hard time with the writing style. I don’t get why brushing their teeth or cleaning his eyeglass was necessary for the story. Many pages were wasted on tedious, unemotional description that added nothing to the main plot.

The blurb for Heart-Shaped Hack certainly caught my attention. Ian was a hacker on top of his game. Unfortunately, the author didn’t really take full advantage of this particular plot device. Only a small portion of the story about hacking kept my interest, but the rest of this book bored me to tears.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart-Shaped Hack.

August 26, 2015 – Started Reading
August 26, 2015 – Shelved
August 26, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
August 27, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
August 28, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

Alexandra Great review Ya! Sorry it didn't work out for you :)

message 2: by -ya (new) - rated it 2 stars

-ya Thank you, Alexandra!^-^

message 3: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne Bummer! (view spoiler)

message 4: by -ya (new) - rated it 2 stars

-ya Jeanne wrote: "Bummer! [spoilers removed]"

Oh, (view spoiler)

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill Oh, nooooooo.....!!!!! I love this author and really enjoyed the sample of the first 5 chapters...but I'm still hopeful as I really enjoy details about teeth-brushing and glasses-cleaning. ;) lol!

message 6: by -ya (last edited Aug 28, 2015 05:13PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

-ya Jill wrote: "Oh, nooooooo.....!!!!! I love this author and really enjoyed the sample of the first 5 chapters...but I'm still hopeful as I really enjoy details about teeth-brushing and glasses-cleaning. ;) lol!"

The first few chapters are pretty good, Jill. The major part in the middle got me bored quite a bit. The dialogue in there isn't sharp enough to keep me interested. Also, the characters are too... nice! haha...(ps: I can't help comparing this to Sherry Thomas's CR I read months ago;))

I hope you will like it much more than I did, Jill! Looking forward to your thought about this book:D

[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥ Sorry it wasnt better Ya. Like Jeanne i think we BR'd her last book it wassooo boring!! I think we all rated 2 and under!!! Lol i know to stay away from this too :) thanks

message 8: by -ya (new) - rated it 2 stars

-ya [~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥ wrote: "Sorry it wasnt better Ya. Like Jeanne i think we BR'd her last book it wassooo boring!! I think we all rated 2 and under!!! Lol i know to stay away from this too :) thanks"

Thanks, Ami. So we read all her boring books;) I should read On the Island;)

message 9: by mich (new) - added it

mich I've been meaning to read On the Island too. I've been seeing this Hack book EVERYWHERE lately, but I think I'll try that Island one before this, especially after your review :)

message 10: by -ya (new) - rated it 2 stars

-ya mich wrote: "I've been meaning to read On the Island too. I've been seeing this Hack book EVERYWHERE lately, but I think I'll try that Island one before this, especially after your review :)"

I know the reason I keep putting On the island on hold even though most of my trusted friends love it.
(view spoiler)

message 11: by mich (new) - added it

mich Yeah, you're right, she's much older. (I wasn't sure so I just looked up that book and holy crap, I see TONS of 4-5 stars from all my buddies here. I need to get on that.)

message 12: by Thuy (new) - rated it 1 star

Thuy the hacking concept got me, but everything went downhill from there.

message 13: by -ya (new) - rated it 2 stars

-ya Thuy wrote: "the hacking concept got me, but everything went downhill from there."

Yeah, the hacking concept is probably the only part that I was interested in. But I feel the characterization of the hacker was pretty one-dimensional. Plus, I just couldn't connect to the characters nor the storyline for the most part:/

message 14: by Ksenia (new) - added it

Ksenia Oh, I’m not a fan of tedious, unnecessary descriptions… I’ve read her On the Island and absolutely loved it, though it was ages ago.

message 15: by -ya (new) - rated it 2 stars

-ya Ksenia wrote: "Oh, I’m not a fan of tedious, unnecessary descriptions… I’ve read her On the Island and absolutely loved it, though it was ages ago."

*biting my nails* I think I am in the minority on this one, Ksenia! It seems many of my gr friends love it;)

Sybil aka Lala Yup, great review. Didn't like this either

message 17: by -ya (new) - rated it 2 stars

-ya Thank you, Sybil!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I am so with you on this. I thought it was soooo dull

message 19: by -ya (last edited Nov 30, 2015 08:06AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

-ya Kat Stark wrote: "I am so with you on this. I thought it was soooo dull"

High five! This book is a big miss for me:/

message 20: by Chik (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chik After "on the island " I had very high expectations. Most of the book is fluff. Even sex seen read dull to me, like I already read it before 100 times, there was no building up. The twist was predictable too. I read all her books and really loved the Island series, however this book was like from another author

message 21: by -ya (new) - rated it 2 stars

-ya Chik wrote: "After "on the island " I had very high expectations. Most of the book is fluff. Even sex seen read dull to me, like I already read it before 100 times, there was no building up. The twist was predi..."

I agree, Chik, I remember I skimmed those sex scenes. I guess I shouldn't pick this one as my first book by the author. Now I just seem not to have a mood for On the Island, even though I know it is a good novel that many of my gr friends highly recommended. Best of the luck to your next read:D