Melissa (YA Book Shelf)'s Reviews > Paint My Body Red

Paint My Body Red by Heidi R. Kling

Beautiful, sensitive writing about difficult subject matter. I've read tons of books in which teen suicide and healing from the suicide of a friend or a loved one is a major theme, so I can say with some authority that Heidi Kling does a great job presenting it. It's a love story and a mystery rolled up in one, it's about coming to terms with what has happened, and finding a way to have a positive effect in the world from a negative experience. But at the same time, it's unlike any of the "suicide" books I've ever read. I loved this book, and found myself staying up late, night after night, to finish it. I don't want to give anything away, except that you've got to read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paint My Body Red.

August 26, 2015 – Shelved
August 26, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
October 20, 2015 – Started Reading
October 20, 2015 –
2.0% ""I have no idea who I am anymore. The Paige I used to be wouldn't have done any of the things I did.""
October 20, 2015 –
14.0% "I can already tell that this will be a hard read emotionally, but worth it 100%. Between Paige's Dad's advanced ALS and the guilt she has over not having seen him in years, and something mysterious in her past that led to her anxiety and depression. Need sleep, but just want to keep reading. "
October 21, 2015 –
31.0% "Don't want to put this book down. Not even a little bit. "
October 23, 2015 –
77.0% "So many swoony moments with Jake, and tough moments as Paige works through...and writes about what happened in Palo Alto. I also love how Heidi deals with Gus' ALS - both how Paige responds to it initially, how Jake and Anna treat him, and how old friends of Gus' treat him. I don't think there are many books that deal with this topic in such a real and sensitive way."
October 24, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Claire (Book Blog Bird) Nice review! I really enjoyed this one too :-)

Melissa (YA Book Shelf) Thanks, Claire! Yes, I saw your review. So glad to hear that you loved it, too! :)