Morgane's Reviews > The Firesteel

The Firesteel by Ash Huang

Aug 26, 2015

(4.5 stars)

If you like the movie The Fall, with Lee Pace, you'll enjoy this-- it's a story within a story, abounding in magical realism and radiant settings. Huang successfully takes modern characters (the fiercely independent woman, the directionless man) and tells their love story in all the locations that capture the imagination: Ancient Greece, Camelot, the Amazon... It's essentially a fairy tale for adults, and I mean that in a very good way. Also, yay for awesome female characters all around!!

And, if ~love stories~ aren't your jam, don't worry. This isn't The Notebook. This is a very relatable story of two people who keep meeting up at the wrong time, who try to make it work, who are human (!). Sometimes one is more sympathetic than the other. Sometimes neither of them is. I appreciate that complexity.

My only real critique is that I actually would have liked even MORE. This story definitely could have been longer. It had all the makings of an epic, and I would have liked to get to know the characters better. Take this with a grain of salt though; my favorite book is In Search of Lost Time, which is hella long. love 2 read

I hope Huang keeps writing! (Please keep writing)

Here's a non-spoiler-y bit from the book that made me laugh:

"Natt Raymer is online, and he's swiping around apps like the rest of the plebes."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Firesteel.

August 26, 2015 – Started Reading