Ceitidh's Reviews > Half-Blood

Dec 30, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: young-adult, not-finished
Read from October 21 to 22, 2012

Okay, a few people has asked me why I only gave 1 cheap star to this book that seems to be a favorite of so many. So, I decided to explain how I feel towards this book with the following points.

But first, I am sorry in advance if I offend a fan of this series. I know it hurts when someone talks crap about a book you love and I know this book has tones of fans but SORRY!

So here I go!

1. I got almost halfway through the book. I read like 45% of it and I couldn't keep reading. So yes, I didnt' finish it. It's not that is a bad book, or that the writing sucked (my own writing actually sucks big time so I never judge about that aspect) but I think is pretty much a big copy of Vampire Academy.
I know, WOW! big heavy words, but if you read Vampire Academy then you'll immediately notice the striking similarities between both books. And by striking similarities I mean general plot, characters, species, romance,even dialogues! I remember Aiden told something about the daggers to Alex (Aiden is training Alex under pretty much the same circumstances as Dimitri is training Rose) something like "you haven't earned the right to use one of those" (He said this when Alex wanted to grab one of the dagger) Well, something very similar happened in Vampire Academy) and the similarities continue and are endless! (and notice that I didn't even finished the book. I just got halfway through it and that was enough for me to feel like I was reading a complete Vampire Academy rip-off. Hopefully thing changed by the end of the book and things turned out to be Armentrout's own ideas (I really hoped that). However, I have been talking with a few friends and it happens that, according to them, that's not the case. (that is the opinion from people who did finish the book, just so you know)

2. I feel like the author tried to re-write Vampire Academy on her own way (but not really, she just changed the names and places) and then oops! it happened she sold it and got published. I still wonder, how that even happened? O_o?? I knew there were similarities between VA and this book but... aren't they too many? hmmmmmm...

3. I cannot like a book I felt uncomfortable reading and for respect to Richelle Mead, I coudln't keep turning this book's pages without feeling like crap for her. And that's why I willingly stopped reading this book. Thanks LORD I didnt buy it but borrowed it from a friend! if not, I would have burned it already.

I totally understand when books (or whatever) have similarities. That's totally fine. Originality is impossible and everything comes from something else. That's what sources and inspiration are for. But well... this is not the case.

There you have it my dear fellow readers. You may actually enjoy this book if you have never read Vampire Academy. Otherwise, it may feel repetitive, predictable and even offensive! (it was in my case)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

10/21/2012 page 1
0.0% "Let's see what the buzz is all about =9"
10/22/2012
40.0% "This is such a copycat!"
03/08/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by nick (new) - added it

nick I cannot wait to see what you think about this Natalia! Especially since you're a HUGE fan of VA! :)

Ceitidh SO far I think is a big VA copycat @_@ Even the main character has this very Rose Hathaway aptitude. I don't know. I knew there were similarities but... isn't this too much? My enjoyment id moderate but it may still be too early since Im only 25% through the book. But dude, this is such a copy. The only thing that changes are the names and places. The rest is exactly the same. I wonder how it even got published >_<

message 3: by nick (new) - added it

nick I know what you mean. It doesn't stop actually. I wondered the same thing too, Natalia. Worse thing is that I enjoyed the book because it reminded me of VA, but i still don't get how the author wasn't sued by Mead for plagiarism ...

message 4: by Ceitidh (last edited Oct 22, 2012 03:52PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ceitidh That's the word I didnt want to use but truth be told, I wonder the same... Im almost halfway through the book and I feel like Im listening to the same song (VA) but in the wrong key. What's worst, Richelle Mead is one of my favorite authors and I wonder, how would she feel if she read this? I feel quiet uncomfortable myself but I am still hoping the striking similarities will stop any time soon.

I know from friends that this series takes a totally different turn from VA in the second book, but the first one is like WoW! there are way too many coincidences. But are they?

Mariya I can't remember the book that well, b/c it made me really mad so I forgot all about it. But the similarities. UGH! I hate them and lots of us wonder why she wasn't sued for plagiarism, b/c this book and the second book their are certain scenes that are like exactly what happened in VA except she turns it around to go with the story in her series. I Honestly didn't like the series though. VA was better and had better characters to me. I Just couldn't really connect with this, but that's just me.

Ceitidh Mariya wrote: "I can't remember the book that well, b/c it made me really mad so I forgot all about it. But the similarities. UGH! I hate them and lots of us wonder why she wasn't sued for plagiarism, b/c this bo..."

I feel like the author tried to re-write VA on her own way but then oops! it happened she sold it and got published and then she decided to give it a different twist. (for what I have heard from friends. According to them the rest of the series go totally different than VA)

Like you say my dear Mariya, I can't connect to this book either. Th characters are not as charming as the ones from VA. The plot, the circumstances, the races, everything is like taken from VA, but as I said before, is like listening to the same song in the wrong key. I am not hooked, nor the love interest has charmed me (not even one little) So much difference from Dimitri with whom I fell totally in love with from the first moment.

Sorry, I cant help but compare this to VA. It is impossible not to since it is a shameless copy of it >_<

Mariya Haha. I tried not it compare it but I just couldn't help it and like you said the characters don't compare. I mean the heroine in half blood, honestly! She pisses me off and she isn't likable in my opinion. Rose is bad ass too but, and sometimes a little tough with some attitude but she's likable! I only liked Seth as the love interest in Half Blood! He is a little fun, but other than that I don't connect with any of it.

It's strange. I fell in love with everything VA, but with this,....ummm. no.

message 8: by Ceitidh (last edited Oct 22, 2012 06:01PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ceitidh That's it. I put it down! My new rule is that if I reach a third of the book and Im not hooked, I putting it down. I reached almost half of the book in this one because I really wanted to know what the buzz was all about but HUGH! I just don't see it. I read Obsidian by the same author and I totally disliked it. So I wanted to try this series since so many people seem to be in love with it. But hell... Im not picking up any of her books again. This author is just NOT FOR ME.

message 9: by Mariya (last edited Oct 22, 2012 06:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mariya I dropped this author completely as well! TO be honest for this book I had read maybe almost up to page 100 but then I did lots of skimming! Haha! I almost dropped Obsidian. I did drop the second book with both series. I gave second chances with both books. So it's just not you, I honestly don't get the popularity with this author. I had this stupid fan crazed freak commenter bash my review just b/c I rated it 2 stars, and told me I shouldn't review anymore & some other nasty shit. stupid b*itch. But yea. I'm done! done! done!

message 10: by nick (new) - added it

nick Natalia, nobody can beat Dimitri and Adrian! ;)
You know what's worse, Half-Blood has a higher rating than Vampire Academy!!!!
I don't this is going to be a series for you. The copying continues in the second book as well, but I agree that it's a lot less than this one!
Still, I love Mead too much to actually fully love this series! :)

message 11: by Ceitidh (last edited Oct 22, 2012 06:32PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ceitidh @Mariya: What the fuck? She really doesn't know what "subjectivity" means! Here is full of subjective reviews and if she doesnt like it, then she should go to Kirkus or something like that. But last I checked Kirkus didnt have a review on this book. Really, when Im not sure about the book I want to read or about its popularity, I always check reviews here in GR and I also like to read professional critics, but they havent picked this one up yet.

message 12: by Ceitidh (last edited Oct 22, 2012 06:38PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ceitidh Nick93 wrote: "Natalia, nobody can beat Dimitri and Adrian! ;)
You know what's worse, Half-Blood has a higher rating than Vampire Academy!!!!
I don't this is going to be a series for you. The copying continues in..."

Boooo, that's too bad that the copying continues, but at least is less obvious. THanks lord!

I totally understand if people like it. I love a lot of books that people may actually hate. But with this one I can't stand the Vampire Academy similarities. I feel like reading a VA fan fiction. UGH!!

Oh, and did I mention that I just finished The Crimson Crown by Cinda Williams Chima? Reading this book after that epic conclusion ... well.. it wasn't the best time to pick Half-Blood up. The Crimson Crown left me with a very high standard. Then, I guess is also my fault that I disliked Half-blood so much. UGH!

Mariya LOL girl! I was gonna go to her blog/email to message her my x-rated response. she used a fake id, I was like stupid b*tch! scared to be found out. I post both negative & positive reviews b/c I believe it's important to be honest in your reviews, that you didn't finish it and that it was not good. Never had a problem before and I have been posting negative reviews. But you always get one little troll, who doesn't get that every book wasn't made to be liked by every single person. psssh... Marked her as a spam comment anyway. WP catches those. Haha!

message 14: by Ceitidh (last edited Oct 22, 2012 06:45PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ceitidh I dont like wasting my time writing negative reviews XD it takes time and I prefer to read an awesome book instead. But a few lines explanying why I disliked the book is fine with me (I did that with Wake by Amanda Hocking and with Beta by Rachel Cohn and other forgettable books that I, of course, dont remember)

I dont post those in my blog though. My blog is to buzz about the books I like and totally love. Not the other way around. That's why I named my blog DAZZLING reads XDD because is about GOOD/GREAT/DAZZLING reads =9 lol! not crappy reads XDDD LOL!! So yeah, no negative long reviews for me although I have no problems with them either. But in my case, Im too lazy and doont have time for that XD As I said, I prefer to invest that time reading something awesome! <3333

Btw, that girl who bitched you totally sucks! UGH!

message 15: by Ashelynn (new) - added it

Ashelynn I had the same problem! WAAAAY too much like VA!

Mariya @Natalia: Oh, yea. I think you mentioned that on your blog! Usually if I have a lot to say then I'll post them, if not then no. Usually depends. Haha!

Ceitidh Mariya wrote: "@Natalia: Oh, yea. I think you mentioned that on your blog! Usually if I have a lot to say then I'll post them, if not then no. Usually depends. Haha!"

Yeah I totally get it. But I am SO lazy XDDDDD LOL!

Ceitidh Ashelynn wrote: "I had the same problem! WAAAAY too much like VA!"

We are quiet a bunch with the same problem XD

Mariya Natalia Belikov wrote: "Mariya wrote: "@Natalia: Oh, yea. I think you mentioned that on your blog! Usually if I have a lot to say then I'll post them, if not then no. Usually depends. Haha!"

Yeah I totally get it. But I ..."

LOL I know! HAHAHAHA!
Btw, Iced is out in a freaking week! AHHHHHHH! More Karen Marie MOning! I just need a small glimpse of Barrons! Oh, please!!!!! LOL

Ceitidh OMFG I KNOW!!!!!! It's been like what? two years without any Karen Marie Moning Fever book so OMFG lets rejoice! and drool, and swoon, and nosebleed =9 yum!!! Oh yeah! oh yes!! OMG!!!! just a Barrons Cameo will make my life!!!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaah!

Mariya HAHAHA! Yes! Just a small Mac and Barrons banter too! Oh, man! Oh, man!!!!! I read the first 27 pages & Ryodan isn't so bad too! Man! He's HOT too! But FINALLY!!!!!! we've waited far too long!!!!! Now let this week go by fast! PLEASE!!!!!!! HAHAHA! BARRONS FEVER!!! <333333333

Ceitidh aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!! I havent read anything yet. It will be too much of a torture if I do and then have to wait until I get the book in my hands to read the rest! XDD So here I am.... suffering and craving for it!

Mariya I read a little bit! I went straight when I seen Ryodan's name on the page. Damn me and those spoilers! AHHHHHHHH! You'll like him! He's totally drool worthy, but second to Barrons right now. Barrons is my god!! LOL

Ceitidh Mariya my dear! I want to read something sexy sexy sexy, like FEVER sexy! But I want it to be in first person. I hate third person romances. They just dont do it for me. DO you have any recommendation? =9

Mariya Oh, god. Nothing really compares to Fever to me! Haha! Nothing ever did. Iced comes out next week. There's my recommendation! LOL

But I have read some sexy comtemporary romance reads that are pretty good!

Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) by Sylvia Day Reflected in You (Crossfire, #2) by Sylvia Day On Dublin Street by Samantha Young

Ceitidh Thank you sweetheart! Im gonna take a look at the Dublin one =9

Racquel Sadly there are not a lot of 1st person romances. The only ones I could think of at the top if my head besides the Travis series by Lisa Kleypas, are the ones Mariya recommend!

Ceitidh Racquel wrote: "Sadly there are not a lot of 1st person romances. The only ones I could think of at the top if my head besides the Travis series by Lisa Kleypas, are the ones Mariya recommend!"

Thank you sweetheart! I'll take a look at On DUblin Street! sounds really good =9

Laura I love this book but you are absolutely right that it is almost exactly the same as VA, its basicaly just VA but with demi-gods instead of vampires.

message 30: by Ceitidh (last edited Oct 23, 2012 07:24AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ceitidh Yeah, and that's called plagiarism.

Laura I agree, its not even just bits of the book it is the ENTIRE book.

message 32: by Aliz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aliz Tienes mucha razon !
Son casi identicos !

Amelie Yeah it is demi-gods instead of vampires, but what annoyed me the freaking most, was that the daimons DRANK THEIR BLOOD!!! And then the whole storyline in the ending...
Great review, and the ending btw. also made me SO angry... Rose and Mason getting abducted by daimons and they try to turn them blabla... ARGH!