Ron Bruce's Reviews > A Demon Inside

Aug 26, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: m-m, net-galley, fantasy-scifi

A Demon Inside by Rick R. Reed

Gosh that title could be taken a few different ways. Did I just write taken?

Hunter, a wealthy, naive, young man (throw fragile in there too) finds himself almost taken hostage by his own terrors in a mansion he inherited. As the last of his family line will he survive his own personal demon?

There were many things I liked about this book. I liked the setting, a secluded mansion in the woods with a hot man living nearby in a small cottage. Said hot man, Michael, was so kind and, of course, handsome and, of course, hot after Hunter so naturally I liked, okay, loved Michael. Even the nice nurse, John, who we got a very brief intro to seemed like I person I’d really like too. I kind of even liked (view spoiler). Is that wrong?

I also like that this book had an actual story and not just a string of hot sexy times thrown together that moved from room to room or appliance to appliance. Also readers should be warned about a near rape, make that 2 (view spoiler).

But I did have a problem with this book. I almost felt like I sympathized more with Hunter’s demon. Again, is that wrong? I found Hunter a bit too naive though the author carefully helped illustrate why the early twenties aged Hunter was in that state. I really didn’t like Hunter that much.

Growing up rather naive myself maybe Hunter’s state just seemed so wrong to me especially what with the wonders of the internet that I lacked in my childhood. And this novel was set in the age of the internet so my only question is when do we get to read Michael’s story? Hmm?

Overall I thought the book was okay (I enjoyed Rick R. Reed’s Caregiver a lot more than A Demon Inside) and will probably recommend it to some of my friends but not to others. I’d give this 3 out of 5 stars, a liked but not loved book for me.

**Copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review**
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Demon Inside.

August 26, 2015 – Started Reading