Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Queen of the Undead's Reviews > Lost in the River of Grass

Lost in the River of Grass by Ginny Rorby

Dec 30, 2010

Read from December 30, 2010 to January 05, 2011

Wow. I have to admit something. I did not think I would like this book. One, it is a YA book. I have not been the biggest supporter of the YA market as of late. It seems everyone is writing a YA book. Two, I thought the plot summary sounded crazy. How much can you write about regarding trying to survive in the Everglades? In my head, it is you are going to be eaten by gator or not. That’s it.

I was wrong!

I’m not going to go over how Sarah ended up in the Everglades with Andy since that seems minuscule in comparison to the adventure of Sarah and Andy getting out of the Everglades. Sarah and Andy are stuck in the Everglades. They are not stuck on a boat in the Everglades, not stuck in a cabin in the Everglades, but stuck in the actual physical swampy water with snakes, alligators, and other various creatures. They are not stuck for a few hours but for days. Think about this? Let me repeat this- stuck in the physical water with alligators, snakes and other various creatures. VERY bad things can and do happen.

Now for the two characters- Sarah and Andy.

Andy-

This is what I loved so much about this book. Andy lives in the Everglades. He knows about the swamps, the snakes, the alligators. He knows about “the circle of life,” and how animals kill animals, and possibly people too. Therefore, you think “big strong Alpha hero” right. Wrong. He is a very typical teenage boy. I love that he is flawed and he makes serious errors and Sarah, even with Andy’s good intentions, cannot fully count on him to get them out of the Everglades.

Sarah-

She is very typical teenage girl at the beginning. She is unsure, insecure, and scared of everything that someone not being raised in the Everglades would be scared of. However, you quickly realize she has a heart of gold and endless compassion for the life around her. Her relationship with Teacup is one of my favorite parts of the book. I will not even tell you who Teacup is. It is too precious to learn on your own.

Overall, this is a gem of a book. I’m giving it 4.5 stars out of 5. It would be 5 stars except the book is too short for the overall price of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost in the River of Grass.

12/30/2010 page 1
0.0% "Outside my normal genre but I'm eager to begin."
01/01/2011 page 1
0.0% "put this one on hold till Monday."
01/04/2011 page 67
25.0% "Sarah stop whining, you got yourself into this mess!"
01/04/2011 page 149
56.0% "Very good so far. It's like one long adventure/action movie. Love the descriptions and the relationship between Andy & Sarah. Oh, and don't even get me started on Teacup."

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead i agree! it has good reviews so far.

message 2: by Bark (new) - added it

Bark Sounds great. I'm not a huge fan of YA books either unless they're very funny or something special.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead BarkLessWagMore wrote: "Sounds great. I'm not a huge fan of YA books either unless they're very funny or something special."

You might like this one. I usually go into YA books with a bad attitude so to love a YA book is a rare thing for me.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Is this another one you read for someone else? LOL

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead ♥ Sarah ♥ wrote: "Great review Michelle! I'll definitely have to read this one then.

I also find it amusing that the main characters have the same names as my husband and I. I don't see that too often. lol"

I think you'll love this book. It was REALLY good. A big surpise. And of course, it was made for you and your hubby!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Is this another one you read for someone else? LOL"

I read this one all for me! LOL. AND it was really really good. A big surpise.