Emily McLean's Reviews > Seabiscuit: An American Legend

Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand

Dec 30, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in January, 2007

I must admit that I am a horse-book fan and have been since I was eight and read Black Beauty for the first time. But I absolutely loved this book, and I think that even readers who aren't horse fans will too. It's a classic "American Dream" story, both with Seabiscuit and his jockey, Red Pollard. The love is obvious between the two, and as cheesy as it sounds, it warms your heart! I actually cheered out loud at each race, and when Seabiscuit lost, I literally moped, and when he won, I grinned for pages...until something unfortunate happened, which unfortunately happens quite often. It's a lovely read, and very gripping. It chronicles up until the time that Seabiscuit dies, and I remember turning to my sister when I read that and being absolutely shocked. She didn't really care, but I had forgotten for a while that I was reading a true story-I was sure it would end like Black Beauty, in a nice quiet pasture somewhere with friends. But it didn't, and the emotion that I felt was surprising, considering I was reading about a horse. One of my all-time favorite books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seabiscuit.