Alex's Reviews > Fortune's Favorites

Fortune's Favorites by Colleen McCullough

F 50x66
Jan 27, 2008

liked it

I finally got through this tome! Unlike Grass Crown this book progressed a little slowly. By the time you finish with this book most of the beloved characters from the first 2 books are long gone and you're left with a lot of "wait, who is that person?" ponderings. Those characters that are familiar, if only vaguely, you now can't distinguish as "good guys" or "bad guys." I must admit that would be my favorite part of this latest book of the saga and my new favorite aspect of McCullough's characterization -- she has a crazy knack for making characters actual people (in ways that they can never just be in history) in such a way that you forget you're reading a book and only realize it as an after thought.

Ultimately, there were parts of this book that hurt me: turns I didn't see coming, sad twinges of great love for past-book characters. I think my next step is to reread Suetonious before continuing on to read more of the Caesar stories.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fortune's Favorites.

January 27, 2008 – Shelved