Yolanda Sfetsos's Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Dec 30, 2010

bookshelves: ya-contemporary, urban-fantasy

** spoiler alert ** Firstly, this is such a pretty cover. I also think it captures the main character's description perfectly. It's lovely.

As soon as I started reading this book, I was hooked. Seriously, Evie's voice and attitude is so laidback that it made me like her right away. She's so funny. Although she lives in a world filled with danger and monsters, she's actually quite positive, and innocent. Which was another one of her charming qualities. Like I said, I was instantly hooked.

Evie isn't normal, but she wishes she was. It's the thing she wants most. Instead, she works for IPCA and lives there too. Because she can see through paranormal glamours, none of the monsters can hide their true face from her, which makes her the perfect tool. She doesn't have parents, doesn't know where she came from and her handler is the closest thing she's got to a parent. Oh, and her best friend's a mermaid, her ex a faerie. She might bag-and-tag paranormal creatures, but life isn't much fun. And she certainly never imagined she might be more than human.

However, when she finds someone breaking into IPCA, her whole world is turned upside down.

Lend isn't like other boys. He's a shapeshifter, and his origins are very mysterious. He doesn't like to talk much about where he's from and what he's doing in IPCA. Still, Evie's drawn to him and while he's kept prisoner finds herself befriending him. Of course, her ex happens to be an obsessed faerie who won't leave her alone, and he's trying to (physically) change her. Not to mention that someone's killing paranormals...

I loved everything about this book--the story, the mystery, the monsters, the worldbuilding, the characters, the humour... all of it! And I especially liked Evie and Lend. They were so sweet together, and determined to find out what's going on and why/who is killing the paranormals. This is an awesome book, and I can't wait for the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.

December 30, 2010 – Shelved
February 19, 2011 –
page 9
2.69% "This'll be next, after THG#2. Enjoyed the first chapter! :)"
February 20, 2011 –
page 17
February 21, 2011 –
page 25
7.46% "I've been sneaking in a chapter before bedtime... ;)"
February 22, 2011 –
page 59
17.61% "Fun times! ;)"
February 22, 2011 –
page 113
33.73% "Oooooh, this is such a good book! Enjoying it. A lot!"
February 23, 2011 – Started Reading
February 23, 2011 –
page 163
48.66% "I'm having such a great time with this book! :)"
February 23, 2011 –
page 213
63.58% "Still lovin' it!"
page 236
70.45% "Ooooooh... :)"
page 280
83.58% "Poor Evie... :("
page 335
100.0% "Awesome, awesome book! :)"
February 25, 2011 – Shelved as: ya-contemporary