Lorraine's Reviews > Sweet Revenge

did not like it
bookshelves: american, mystery, listened-to, zz2011
Recommended for: no one
Read from December 28, 2010 to January 13, 2011

Skip to the last chapter. Read that. It's faster and less painful.

I can suspend reality and accept the coincidences of all those involved in the murders are in Goldy's life right now, that she's super-sleuth compared to the cops, and similar quirks associated with the murder-mystery genre. But Super Goldy, as she is in this book, is just too much. What human can set up for a catering event, and deal with cops after finding a body one evening, then the next day cater three events, plus run around town, deal with visitors dropping by, and taxi her son and his friends from snowboarding, and the next day get up early for church, crash a car, fall down a ravine (hitting treeS and rocks), run around town again, visit the ski slope and be knocked out, go to the hospital, get up the next morning for a quickie with her husband before catering another event...and solve a mystery. Did I mention that it was snowing the whole time? Caffeine is great, but please. That's 72 hours. No way.

My other big beef with the book is that the plot, at least for the first half of the book, only moves along by people TELLING Goldy information. What a boring way to develop a mystery. And then once a chapter (at least) Goldy reviews the information and events (I swear she narrates the main murder three or four times within 50 pages of it happening). She throws in speculation/question after speculation/question that are already obvious to a reader only half paying attention. "Why is Sandee here? How did she not die in the fire? Who murdered Drew Wellington?" Duh. We realize those are questions to be answered: you don't have to spell them out for us OVER AND OVER.

The characters are all pretty flat and unimaginative, and in this audio version, the men all sound impatient, angry, and rude; the women are self-centred and weepy; and the kids are whiners. Or maybe that's just the writing.

If you like to read a chapter a week, this book is for you. If you want to be treated like an intelligent reader, try PD James. I think I'm done with Goldy Bear and her stupid catering business "Where everything is just right boring".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Revenge.

04/21/2016 marked as: listened-to