EroticaAfterDark (Lilith)'s Reviews > The Need: An Erotic Thriller

The Need by S.L. Hannah

bdsm

This book has all the premises to get five epic stars for me:
☑ an insecure narrator, whose character develops, finds herself and becomes a self-conscious, badass woman
☑ a mislead, vicious, erratic, sensual, strong, possessive opponent
☑ a captivating, intriguing, intelligent narrative
☑ incredibly hot and diverse sex scenes
☑ mind-games
☑ suspense

I'm still not able to give it 5 stars, and I can't round up my 4.5 stars to a full five either. The biggest reason of all of this is the ending. I won't write spoilers here, because I don't want you to read them and then regret reading them. And I'm sure that other readers might love it, but I can't. And I'll write my opinion in spoiler tags.
(view spoiler)

This is S.L. Hannah's first novel, and considering this, it's incredibly written. I love her style, her ways of describing things and I will definitely read more of hers in the future.
Therefore it is also understandable that the story had a few weaknesses and felt bumpy now and then. As in: I became impatient with the story and plot-twists or re-directions felt choppy. But I'm complaining on a high level here.
The inner monologue of Angie lacked a bit, she didn't question enough as someone who has hours for herself to do so. There are a few things an highly intelligent woman could or maybe should have realized. Yet, again, this is just me.
After all, all the 'complains' stated above wouldn't be enough to deny Miss Hannah her deserves 5 stars. It's indeed the ending that disappointed me too much.

ARC

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Need.

August 25, 2015 – Shelved
August 25, 2015 – Shelved as: tw-rape
August 26, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
August 31, 2015 – Started Reading
September 1, 2015 –
17.0% "This book is written beautifully, but it's not fully what I expected."
September 2, 2015 –
40.0% "This is so different from anything i've read. Yet similar. Fascinating. Just when it started to bore me the story did an intruguing turn."
September 3, 2015 –
64.0% "Still, beautifully written, maybe a pinch too sterile, but nonetheless hot."
September 5, 2015 – Shelved as: abuse
September 5, 2015 – Shelved as: recommendation
September 5, 2015 – Shelved as: 4-5stars-review
September 5, 2015 – Finished Reading
September 19, 2015 – Shelved as: arc-or-request

S.L. Hannah Thank you so much for your review! I also loved reading all the book progress you posted:) Oh, how I would love to debate the end...but alas, no spoilers. There were three different endings in the works, and it would have been interesting to see how they all played, but these are the types of hard decisions you have to make as an author. Glad you enjoyed The Need!

message 2: by Amelyn (new)

Amelyn Randall I just couldn't take your recommendation on this one. No fault of yours or the authors. I love getting recommendations from people who like the same type of books as me.

My main issue...my son's name is Erik, with a k, which I don't normally find. It's the more rare spelling. Now I understand why my friends with kids named Jake have such a hard time reading those books. LOL!

Oh, and f/f just isn't my thing. I can read them, but it's not really fair to the author that I do that, because no matter how good it is, I'll have a hard time rating it. Annnnnd now that I've been diagnosed with cancer, I'm being SUPER picky about what I read, especially through the surgeries and treatments. :/

S.L. Hannah Sending positive, healing vibes your way, Amelyn! Get healthy and strong, that's the most important thing.

EroticaAfterDark (Lilith) S.L. wrote: "Thank you so much for your review! I also loved reading all the book progress you posted:) Oh, how I would love to debate the end...but alas, no spoilers. There were three different endings in the ..."

I completely understand. In the end it is your story and your choice. And I can't help but be subjective about my experience with the book and especially the ending. Thank God, we are all different! ♥

Amelyn wrote: "I just couldn't take your recommendation on this one. No fault of yours or the authors. I love getting recommendations from people who like the same type of books as me.

My main issue...my son's n..."

Oh, Amelyn, I completely understand, it would creep me out, too! And I understand that if f/f isn't your thing, you won't take a recommendation.

Oh dear, I'm speechless to hear that. I'm so sorry. I'm sending my thoughts out to you and wish you energy and success with beating this treacherous disease. ☀

message 5: by Amelyn (new)

Amelyn Randall Thanks, ladies! I'm trying to keep my cancer drama over on Facebook, but I just found out a couple days ago, so it spills out. <3 Any positive thoughts or prayers or magic jou-jous are welcome. LOL!

S.L., I took a look at your author page and see this was your debut! I clicked that Follow button so I can see what else you got! ;) Best wishes in your new-author adventure! I hope to be in your shoes one day.

EroticaAfterDark (Lilith) ☀ stay awesome, Amelyn ☀