Bret James Stewart's Reviews > The Book of Enoch

The Book of Enoch by George H. Schodde

19232021

The Book of Enoch is certainly interesting. This is not a biblical book, but it is claimed to have been written by the biblical character. Many avoid the pseudepigrapha because they feel that the books are somehow inaccurate or falsified. It is true that some portions probably have been emended; however, I do think that the books should be considered as worthy as any other ancient literature. Just because a book claims a biblical author does not mean it was not written at least partially by that author. It is also important to realize that biblical authors can write things that were not included in the canon with no feel that the author was falsifying material (Paul’s famous assumed Letter to the Laodiceans comes to mind). The Book of Enoch provides a wealth of detail about the Fallen Angels and the Pre-Flood world. To me, one of the more interesting characters in the book is the Fallen Angel, Azazel, who only appears in the Bible indirectly (see Leviticus 16). This is a very interesting entity, and I very much enjoyed learning more about him.

Unless you are very familiar with Hebrew and are aware of the setting and supplementary/corresponding material, I highly recommend reading a version that is glossed. Schodde has provided this in some parenthetical notes and in well-done notes at the end of each segment. He simply removes the Hebrew text (possibly due to the difficulty in providing Hebrew font in an old text), replacing it with “HT” for “Hebrew Text,” which I do not like. Other than this and the lack of an index, I approve of his approach, and I think this book would be greatly beneficial to anyone wishing to know more about the Bible, Enoch, and/or the Book of Enoch itself. This is a good no-frills copy of the book. The author introduces the material well and provides his methodology for the book. I give it 4 stars out of 5, deducting one for the removal of the Hebrew terms and lack of indices.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Enoch.

Finished Reading