Jen's Reviews > The Ghost and the Goth

The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade

Dec 30, 2010

bookshelves: reviews

Alona Dare is the Queen Bee of her high school. She's the one who decides who is popular and who is not, what's in or out. When she steps off the sidewalk one morning while talking on her cell and gets hit by a bus, she's killed instantly. What's shocking to her, though, is what happens at school after's she's gone - her best friend is now dating her boyfriend and everyone else seems to be happy she's dead. It isn't until she notices loser-y Will Killian laughing at her misery that she realizes that just because a girl's dead doesn't mean she's completely out.

Will Killian has his own problems. Like the kid in the movie, he can see dead people. That wouldn't be so very bad if the dead didn't notice him too. They hound him so that he will help them resolve what's keeping them from moving on. His ghost problems have landed him a psychiatrist with dubious motives and multiple stays in mental facilities. He can't function in public without his iPod to drown out the dead folks and so when Alona saves him at a particularly bad time, he ends up agreeing to help her out with her afterlife if she will help him with the other ghosts. The only problem is, he didn't expect to like her as a person. And she didn't expect to like him either. How do you date a dead girl? And who is the ghost that keeps trying to kill him?

I liked Alona. Lots of other reviewers have compared Alona to Rachel McAdams' Regina from Mean Girls. I somewhat agree; I don't think Alona was as ruthless as Regina but she certainly does like to be in control of her kingdom. The interesting thing about Alona? Her social life has absolutely nothing to do with how she lives at home. Her mother is an alcoholic and her father moved out after the divorce. He left and dumped his problems on his daughter's lap and she's been struggling to keep her two worlds apart. The reader gets teased through most of the book with why Alona was so distracted by her phone conversation and while I won't spoil the reason here, I will say that it certainly does explain a lot about her character and why she's so angry.

I couldn't help but feel sorry for Will. Having the gift of being able to see and talk to the dead may have some advantages but for Will, they're ruining his life. Bouncing in and out of mental hospitals and being doped to the gills hasn't helped him like his iPod does; drowning out the voices of the dead let him act relatively normal even if he'll be prematurely deaf from the high volume music. Definitely not a good way to find a girlfriend.

I really dug this book. The light tone and frequent humor make The Ghost and the Goth a quick and enjoyable read. I was disappointed when I closed the back cover because I wanted more Alona and Will! Thank goodness there'll be a sequel; these two are definitely worth another visit. Queen of the Dead comes out on June 7, 2011.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghost and the Goth.