Rick Riordan's Reviews > The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

I picked up this book after reading a thought-provoking article about the author in The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015.... I really liked what she said about coming to fantasy with no interest in maintaining the status quo. She's right that so many fantasy books are about restoring order to a kingdom, returning a rightful heir to the throne, or getting back to the good old days by defeating some dark power that threatens to unbalance society. Jemisin, as an African American female writer, says this simply doesn't resonate with her or interest her, and why should it? Instead, she writes science fiction which challenges those in power, threatens the ordered society, and questions whether the good old days ever existed. I like books that force me to rethink paradigms, so I decided to check out her work.

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is a wonderful read. The first book of a trilogy, it introduces us to Yeine Darr, an outcast from the ruling family of Sky and the product of an unsanctioned biracial marriage, who is summoned home to the palace and suddenly made one of three heirs to the throne for reasons unclear. Soon she is locked in a cold war with her two cousins, both of whom have much more power and understanding of politics. But Yeine gains some powerful if unstable allies: the Enefadah, gods who were enslaved by the ruling family after those deities lost a war against the Lord of Light, the patron god of Sky.

You know me. I can't resist a good book with gods knocking around, causing chaos among mortals. I loved the mythology Jemisin created, and how she turned the bright shiny castle with the glorious white king and the heavenly patron god into just about the most horrible place you can image. I'm looking forward to the next two books, though after that ending (NO SPOILERS, BUT WOW) I have no idea where she will go with the story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.

Finished Reading
August 24, 2015 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Khiara (new)

Khiara Lewis Is this book in first person view?

message 2: by Njabulo (new) - added it

Njabulo Mkhonto yup, it's in first person... so far (barely just started reading the book

Nicholas Alcock It's in tight first person except where it isn't. (More would be a spoiler.)

Jackie Just started this book and thank you for thought provoking—yet spoiler free!— review. Looking forward to that promised WOW ending!

Gayer Than Fiction I couldn't agree more with every word you've written here! (although apparently I'm very late to the party)