Bonnie's Reviews > You Can't Stop Me

You Can't Stop Me by Max Allan Collins

U 50x66
Dec 30, 2010

did not like it

I was severely disappointed the latest from Max Allan Collins and his cohort Matthew Clemens. I have never read anything by Clemens but I had read the Criminal Minds books by Collins and I enjoyed them so I thought I would really like this You Can't Make Me Stop. I was wrong.

I thought the book started off well. It was exciting and interesting and what I expected. But then it seemed to fall apart. Small town Sheriff Harrow saves the President's life and heads home to find his wife and son murdered. Fast forward and he has become the tv host of Crime Seen, a la America's Most Wanted. He vows on tv to find his family's killer and assembles a team to hunt down the murderer on tv. Sounds like a good premise to me, but it fell flat.

I thought the characters were stereotypical and one or two just plain annoyed me. I think there were too many of them on the team. I didn't need to be introduced to such a large cast of characters. Also, Harrow's eyes magically change color from brown to blue in the first few chapters. Did I miss something there?

I give the authors kudos for attempting a twist ending. I didn't feel as attached to the book or the characters as much as I usually like to be. I am wondering if this is in part to my having higher expectations of the book?

Although I did not care for this particular book, I would give the authors another shot because I have been pleased with Collins in the past and hope to be dazzled again in he future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Can't Stop Me.