Shay's Reviews > Letters from a Father to His Sons in College

Letters from a Father to His Sons in College by Samuel Miller

Recommended for: College students and parents of college students

Written in 1843 and published almost ten years later, these letters from a genuine, loving father are just as important today as they were in the time they were written. Samuel Miller touches on every facet of a young man's college life while giving his own counsel and guidance as one with experience and knowledge of this important time of life. His instruction is well said and well thought out and I enjoyed his honesty and his thoroughness.

For college students, this book will be a vault of treasures on how to conduct themselves, even in today's world. There is nothing here that I believe is only for the time it was written, rather many things of which students should take to heart and apply to their lives. He writes like a father to all students, and it would be great for students to listen to him as they would their own fathers.

I would encourage every parent of a college student (or future college student) to take the time to read these letters. They will help guide and direct the thought process of parents and give wisdom to you for your own children. Though my own son is only 8-months old, I hope that I can take to heart these principles and gleam from the wisdom of a father that was much further ahead than me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letters from a Father to His Sons in College.

December 27, 2010 – Started Reading
December 29, 2010 – Shelved
December 29, 2010 –
page 31
page 55
page 77
page 77
31.56% "The chapter on religion may be the best chapter I've ever read on the gospel."
page 122
50.0% "Great discussions on temperance and character. The author was a godly man, and I am greatly encouraged and challenged by these letters."
page 148