tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > Six Years: The Dematerialization of the Art Object from 1966 to 1972

Six Years by Lucy R. Lippard

bookshelves: art
Recommended for: thinkers

I read Ursula Meyers' bk "Conceptual Art" in 1976 & this one not until over 22 yrs later. By then, of course, I'd changed alot. Even though there's an overlap between the 2 bks (after all, both writers are mostly art world figures aware of NYC artists 1st & foremost), their mode of presentation is different. Meyers' bk has short statements & pictures. Lippard's is much more of a cut & paste reference. I recommend them both. However, the difference in when I read them makes me favor the Meyers bk more. At the same time that Conceptual Art will always be very important to me, some of these particular manifestations of it have lost their charm for me. I've seen Sol LeWitt, eg, turn into a museum superstar &, even though he's credited w/ coining the term "Conceptual Art" (as opposed to "Concept Art" coined by Henry Flynt), I find his work to be highly over-rated geometricism (amongst other things) & not really very 'conceptual' at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six Years.