Kailey (Luminous Libro)'s Reviews > January

January by Gabrielle Lord

I was very pleasantly surprised by this book, since it is not really the genre I normally read. What drew me into the action and adventure was the puzzle aspect of the story... the mysterious drawings, the enigma of the Ormond Singularity, the bad guys hiding in the shadows. The suspense is high, we don't know who to trust, and we have to question everything as the plot unfolds! I couldn't stop reading!

The plots moves forward at a fast pace, and the action just keeps coming. Every minute our hero's life is in danger, keeping the reader on the edge of their seat. The writing reflects the fast pace, keeping the sentences clear and concise with a forcefulness that drives home every word.

I liked that the story is told from the main character's POV; it makes the story feel immediate. I also like the headings telling the time as it leaps from time to time on the clock. It makes the reader keep track of each minute that goes by as the days count down. It is so cool that the pages count BACKWARDS! It starts at page 185 and ends on page 001. That might be the coolest thing I have ever seen, since the story is all about the countdown.

Cal is a great main character, with a strong personality, and we get to see him grow and change as he deals with all these new problems. He's trying to be strong for everyone in his family, and protect them. I like that he's so independent until finally he has to ask someone for help.I especially liked Cal's friendship with his best friend. It felt genuine and was a good anchor for the story.

This book ends on a horrifying cliffhanger, so be prepared for that next book right away! I can't wait to read the rest of this series!

Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher in exchange for a free and honest review. All the opinions stated here are my own true thoughts, and are not influenced by anyone.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read January.

August 23, 2015 – Started Reading