Shannon Thompson's Reviews > The Conjurer's Riddle

The Conjurer's Riddle by Andrea Cremer

Brilliant. Just brilliant. It’s no secret that I loved The Inventor’s Secret, and now, it will be obvious how much I loved The Conjurer’s Riddle. It was perfection. Steampunk, alternate history perfection. Much to my delight, the beginning quickly wrapped up book one’s cliffhanger and transported us into a new section of this incredible world. This time, we’re in New Orleans and at the heart of the Resistance. Richly described, the culture is explored just as much as the people behind the rebellion are exposed. We meet new characters and we see the old, loveable ones. We witness death, destruction, and even pirates, and we’re faced with the edge of truth hidden within lies. Lottie has a few more “damsel in distress” moments in this book, compared to the first one, but I didn’t think it took away from the storyline. I particularly liked her growing relationship with Linnet, and I loved seeing Linnet’s storyline deepen, especially toward the end with the introduction of Lachance. *swoon* The love triangle is definitely less prevalent, but it allowed so many more delightful elements to surface. That being said, the cliffhanger in this sequel is so much more intense than the last book, and I’m already DYING for the third book. There’s has to be one. There has to be!
~SAT
Recommended to: Steampunk readers and fans of war, rebellion, and alternate historical narratives, especially 18th century tales. If you like determined heroines, witty leaders, and twisted pirates, you’ll love this story.
Favorite Quote: …there are plenty of attractive beasts in the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Conjurer's Riddle.

Quotes Shannon Liked

Andrea Cremer
“...there are plenty of attractive beasts in the world.”

Andrea Cremer
“Don't ever be honest about who you are—and I mean that as a life rule, not just in this instance.”

Andrea Cremer
“There's no shame in honest suffering, my dear.”

Andrea Cremer
“Unfortunately, the most significant moments of our lives are often unpleasant.”

Andrea Cremer
“Bravery is all well and good, but sometimes it's much better to be cautious.”

August 23, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read