Steve's Reviews > The Latchkey Murders

The Latchkey Murders by Alexei Bayer

bookshelves: 20th-century, cold-war, fiction, first-person, russia, social-history, crime

This guy is an interesting writer. His mother tongue is Russian, but he writes in both Russian and English, so the nuances and psychological insights are definitely not standard anglo saxon fare, which makes up 95% of what most of us read.

The setting is mid-60s Moscow while a series of murders occur, and the story follows the almost comical investigation team from the first-person viewpoint of a Moscow City Homicide Detective.

There is, of course, politics involved but it is at a very localised and uncomplicated level. The feeling and environment Bayer creates is authentic and consistent, but it's the over-the-top emotional reactions I found very amusing, so either Bayer is a little naive about humans or Russians are far more emotionally demonstrative than I ever expected. It seems too much, but what do I know?

The plot moves around, there are plenty of surprises, and Bayer manages a complex set of characters reasonably well.

Is it a masterpiece? No, but it is, like its predecessor Murder at the Dacha an originally presented and very entertaining story. I am looking forward to more adventures from Lt Matyushkin, homicide detective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Latchkey Murders.

August 23, 2015 – Started Reading