Caitlin Hannah 's Reviews > A Little Life

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara

bookshelves: 2016-reading-challenge

Dear god.

You know what this book is? This book is that movie everyone is raving about that wins a ton of awards but that is so hard to watch and you have to totally be in the right mood to watch it (and you're never in the right mood, really, because who could be?) and it's HARD to watch and once you watch it you are SO GLAD you did and can't stop thinking about it and also want to cry into your pillow for a week and need to google pictures of kittens and maybe eat a cupcake.

This is a TOME.
This is the Schindler's List of books.

It isn't about the holocaust but it is about someone's spirit and life being stolen and irreparably damaged, and also about the human capacity for truly bottomless, unconditional love. It is about the absolute worst and the absolute best of humanity, captured in one life.

This book has forever changed the way I think about a lot of things, and I'm better for having read it. I doubt I'll ever be able to read it again - each page seemed weighted with a new and different sadness - but without hyperbole, I am a better person for having read this book. It scooped me out and I now feel like it's part of me. I feel like I finished this book a different person than when I started and I would not have thought that possible. It's fiction! But isn't that the power of fiction? To take us into different places and experiences?

At times during the book it felt too long, and I thought maybe it could use an editor. But I also couldn't tell you what to cut without losing the magic that is these lives twined together, irrevocably, irreparably. In the end I wouldn't change a thing.

Read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Little Life.

Quotes Caitlin Liked

Hanya Yanagihara
“You won’t understand what I mean now, but someday you will: the only trick of friendship, I think, is to find people who are better than you are—not smarter, not cooler, but kinder, and more generous, and more forgiving—and then to appreciate them for what they can teach you, and to try to listen to them when they tell you something about yourself, no matter how bad—or good—it might be, and to trust them, which is the hardest thing of all. But the best, as well.”
Hanya Yanagihara, A Little Life

August 22, 2015 – Shelved
August 22, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
March 5, 2016 – Started Reading
March 6, 2016 –
page 116
16.11% "Spent a while trying to keep everyone straight, but the story is starting to unfold and I'm hooked. Yanagihara's ability to world-build and shape characters is impressive."
March 14, 2016 –
page 258
March 16, 2016 –
page 370
51.39% "WOOF."
March 19, 2016 –
page 503
69.86% "GAH. I'm pretty sure this book is trying to kill me. But it's so good. It's just so so good."
March 21, 2016 –
page 646
89.72% ""Why do you keep reading a book that makes you cry?" -my husband"
March 22, 2016 – Finished Reading
December 26, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-reading-challenge

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Jodi I picked it up and put it down and I need to pick it back up again