Judy's Reviews > The Great Railway Bazaar

The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux

2421939
Dec 29, 2010

liked it

One of my best friends is in love with Mr. Theroux so I thought I should see what it is she loves about him. I didn't love the book, but liked it enough to try another one, maybe fiction next time. This book from the 70s is a chronicle of his train travel in a big circle from London to Iran, India, Thailand, Viet Nam, Japan, and Russia back to London, describing his fellow passengers, who quite often annoy him, and the flavor of each country and the state of the accommodations - sometimes quite sparse. He has a wife and family back home so there's no hanky panky along the way, but he does seem to drink a enormous amount of alcohol. He takes other transportation only when there's no train available. I did enjoy traveling along with him, following on a map, hopefully to improve my knowledge of geography. Things have changed a lot since then so I would be interested in reading one of his more recent travel logs. For someone who would like to travel but probably never will, his books could take me there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Railway Bazaar.