Karina's Reviews > James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing

James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing by G. Norman Lippert

Dec 29, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: alternate-universe, fantasy, magic

As far as fanfictions go, this one is ultimately one of the best I have ever read.

G. Norman Lippert has done something only a rare few can do, he has written a story based on characters/events/stories that already exist (a fan-fiction) and has made it seem like just another continuation of the story.

Lippert has taken the tales of Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling and made a story that Harry Potter lovers will enjoy.

The downside:

This book is deffiantly not for the nity-grity or picky fans of Potter. As any human, Lippert gets things wrong. No fear, the details aren't huge like dates or places, but they're big enough for the hard-core-knows every line by heart fan- to notice.

For some time, I myself couldn't see what the big trouble was in Hogwarts. Was it just me, or did the introduction of the Progressive Elements confuse anyone else? For a while, I couldn't really understand what their problem was. It may have been just me.

Of course, during the reading, as much as you enjoyed it, you knew it wasn't real. Lippert is a good writer, but as he must hear often and once more, he is not J.K. Rowling.

the ups:

Lippert is a good writer. He knew he wasn't Rowling, and he didn't try to be. He adds his own little mix to the bowl by adding things we wouldn't dream would happen if Rowling wrote it. He tried his best to stay true to the plot and Rowling's inital characters, and he did a splendid job.

Another thing I loved was how he introduced the Americans so well. Trust me, I've read enough fanfics to see that idea go south. I'm not going to say it's 100% original, holding an exchange program, but the way he did it and introduced it was so well written and incorporated that it really did not matter.

So would I reccomend this book to people? Why yes I would.
Am I going to read the series? Why yes! I'll read whatever Lippert writes of James.
Rating: 3.5/5 stars. (Goodreads really needs to add a .5 system)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing.