Shannon Thompson's Reviews > The Inventor's Secret

The Inventor's Secret by Andrea Cremer

bookshelves: favorite-series, great-ya

Athene’s helm, this book is fantastic! I could barely put it down, and I’m so sad it’s over. I am getting my hands on the second book as soon as possible. (Oh, dear November, please come soon.) To be perfectly honest, this—to me—is my first Steampunk novel, and if all Steampunk novels are like this, I think I just found a new favorite genre. The Inventor’s Secret is imaginative, edgy, and all-around brilliant. I adored the cast, and found myself in love with all of the characters’ relationships with one another (yes, even the sort-of love triangle, which I don’t normally enjoy), but my favorite pair was the brother-sister combo with the protagonist, Charlotte, and her brother, Ashley, a.k.a. Ash. Beyond the characters, I found myself turning page after page, intrigued by both the world building and the overall storyline. One of my favorite aspects was the alternate historical narrative. While I don’t want to spoil the entire book, The Inventor’s Secret takes place in 1816, right after the Napoleonic Wars, but the difference is that America never won the Revolutionary War, and Britain remains in control. This alternate history blends perfectly with the allure of gadgets, rebellion, and secrets, and the overall magic of the tale flawlessly fits in. Innovative and enthralling, I now have a new favorite genre—and author—to follow.
~SAT
Recommended to: Steampunk readers and fans of war, rebellion, and alternate historical narratives, especially 18th century tales. I would also add that there is a pirate-feel to a large portion of the story, and proper language.
Favorite Quote: Not all weapons are guns or blades; the most dangerous are subtle, hidden.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inventor's Secret.

Quotes Shannon Liked

Andrea Cremer
“This is why I keep telling Ash to get you a cat or a bird. Guns aren't proper pets.”

Andrea Cremer
“Not all weapons are guns or blades; the most dangerous are subtle, hidden.”

Andrea Cremer
“No culture is without access to divine mysteries.”

Andrea Cremer
“We are all prisoners of circumstance at one point or another.”

Andrea Cremer
“...men are poor soldiers in love's war. And it is a war-one that never ends.”

August 21, 2015 – Started Reading