Joe's Reviews > The Joy Luck Club

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

Recommended for: Best Quality people

Ok, I admit it, I was obsessed with Amy Tan my first year of college. I learned all there was about her, read The Joy Luck Club, and finally I gave up hope.
As a freshmen, at Linfield College, I was astonished that Amy Tan could have possibly walked the same hallowed halls of Melrose, perhaps sat in the same offices in the English department, or read a book in Northrup's astro-turf room.
My daydreams were filled with her coming over to my dorm room to have tea and "talk literature." She would tell me what truly inspired her, some secrets and a few great jokes.
In reality, I spent a lot of time looking her up in the old yearbooks at the library, Oak Leaves circa 1970 and 1971 (I think). Horribly despicable. I did learn some of her secrets. I learned that she never graduated from Linfield, which pretty much means nothing...but I did discover that she (possibly) met her husband there, Mr. Lou DeMattei. Also during this first year of Linfield, I got one of those jobs at the PHONE-A-THON, calling alumni to "update their information" and beg for donations. I was going to call Amy Tan, and speak with her myself. Thankfully, for my sanity, I quit before that happened.

Amy began to dissolve as an enigma for me, she was just another celebrity, another writer of a book. The book was beautifully written and for obvious reasons made me homesick. It made me feel closer to my mother than ever, and I knew that, like the women in the book, I would have a special bond with her forever.

The sad thing is, after I finished the book, my love affair a la John Hinckley Jr. with Amy Tan ended, and I cannot bear to pick up any of her other books.

Another hilarious thing is I found this on Tan's website:
[http://www.amytan.net/MythsAndLegends...]
Please make special note of personal errata #2 and #9.
I rest my case. We were meant to be with each other.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Joy Luck Club.

Started Reading
April 1, 2000 – Finished Reading
May 22, 2007 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Dinah (new)

Dinah lol

Klaudia lol hilarious review, but why did you stop reading her books?

message 3: by Joen (new) - added it

Joen yup, i would like to ask same question with Ms.Claudia.. :)

Kristin bummer, the link no longer works

message 5: by Mokusko (new)

Mokusko Wait, how is this a review of The Joy Luck club?