Kat's Reviews > Decline

Decline by Michelle Irwin

bookshelves: australian-author, bad-boys-that-are-hot-but-bad, cliffhanger-central
Recommended for: Any Contemporary Romance Lover 18+

*** Gifted in exchange for an honest review ***

I have read Ms Irwin's Paranormal series and enjoy both series, and I think she is onto a hit with this foray into Contemporary romance.

Well I read this book in a day, and it was nice to get engaged in a book where I didn't want to put it down.

There is a Prequel to this book, which I read in between this book, in my opinion I do not think it would make any difference if you read this book first then the prequel or visa versa or as I did half way though.

Declan Fing Reede is a man whore to the Nth degree, its been 4 years since he left his home town near Brisbane without a backwards glance, leaving his childhood sweetheart and family behind.

He's at the top of his game, with the championship within his reach he is at a race when he spots Alyssa the girl he desperately wants to forget but it seems she is buried deep within his heart, and not even race bunnies nor alcohol nor drugs can keep her from his dreams, although now they seem like nightmares as they start to invade his thoughts on the track, and in his last 6 starts hes crashed each time.

After the last wreck and his team mate giving him 2 cracked ribs the Team boss gives him an ultimatum - get on the plane to London and sort yourself out... BUT it seems Fate seems to have other ideas!

Declan can't believe who is his Flight neighbour - Yep you guessed it Alyssa!!

Buckle up for a Bumpy ride as Declan realises that running from the past is over and its time to man up and face whats really ruining his concentration.

Australia has a thing for V8 cars, and Bathurst is a BIG thing, so even though thankfully my OH is not a Sports mad man - living in Australia and New Zealand for the past 10 years I was well aware of how Aussie and Kiwi men see it as almost a religious event.

Also living in Queensland and visiting both Brisbane and the Gold Coast, meant I could really visualise this book and I really got into the storyline.

You will have to wait until the next book to see if Declan can get his life on track, I did want to slap him sideways to Sunday on more than one occasion, and his self destructive patterns cause a rather predictable conclusion to his actions.

There is a point in this book when I really did feel Declan's pain, I had started reading I didn't quite understand it, but when I turned the page and reality dawned, gosh my heart hurt for him. Ms Irwin did a fabulous job at writing that passage.

I really do feel Alyssa's reluctance in wanting to trust Declan, and unfortunately I will have to wait till December to find out if he actually will get his chance at trying to make up to her. Alyssa is a strong woman to have dealt with the past 4 years, it would have crippled me, if I had to deal with her past, but I am a hopeless romantic and I have my fingers crossed that Ms Iwin will be kind to these two characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Decline.

August 21, 2015 – Started Reading
August 21, 2015 – Shelved
August 21, 2015 –
64.0% "At first this sentence confused me, but when I turned the page may throat just constricted and the tears fell... Now after reading the last book I read it's nice to feel some emotion when reading, that's the sign of a good book"
August 21, 2015 – Shelved as: australian-author