Bret James Stewart's Reviews > Job

Job by Robert L. Alden

19232021

This commentary is based upon the NIV version of the Bible. It is as good as most commentaries on the market. As commentaries provide additional detail and comments about the text, it is recommended that more than one commentary be used when studying biblical material. Each author is going to have his own focus and presuppositions such as denominational stances that will impact the premises made. This particular commentary deals with each individual verse of Job, which seems somewhat unusual as most of the commentaries I have read deal with thought units or segments of the book in question. Alden’s verse-by-verse approach might be slightly superior to the other method as each verse receives treatment rather than being passed over or addressed as part of a selection of related verses.

The commentary assumes that this reference book will be used in teaching and preaching, so it is slanted toward this purpose. The book focuses upon the unity of the individual books of the Bible as well as the canon as a whole, which results in the author demonstrating the same. Further, the book is constructed with a conservative exegetical style with an evangelical and applicational bent.

My litmus test for any author dealing with Job is chapters 40-41 regarding behemoth and leviathan. Alden handles these troubling descriptions well, essentially admitting that the exact identities of the animals cannot be deduced from the text, which is probably the best way to treat the material without speculating; I feel this approach is ideal for a general commentary. I like this commentary. The only thing I would have preferred was it be based upon the KJV, though I understand and the choices behind utilizing the NIV. I highly recommend this commentary. I will be reading more of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Job.

Finished Reading