C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Isle of the Lost

The Isle of the Lost by Melissa de la Cruz
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
11375137
's review

bookshelves: read-2016, retelling, young-adult

242 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Isle of the Lost.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

August 20, 2015 – Shelved
August 20, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 17, 2016 – Started Reading
February 17, 2016 –
page 130
40.63% "This is legitimately SO BAD it's actually hysterical."
February 17, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
February 17, 2016 – Shelved as: retelling
February 17, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 17, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ella (new) - added it

ella Ah okay XD


Lena This true that this read like fan fiction, but that's what made me stick through it because I needed something to laugh about


Avery I totally agree.


Faith DUDE THIS IS A GOOD BOOK. NOT LIKE YOU ARE THE AUTHOR. SO FAM.


message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha I was literally laughing through the whole review! I love this!


message 6: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Grafenberger This review is hilarious xD Made my day, thank you!


message 7: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Sabrina: Thanks!


Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie† I get that you wanted the book to be better, little more bang for your buck.
but, you do realize this is Disney, right? you do realize this book was meant for middle grade and younger.
If you wanted murder, blood and guts, you came to the wrong spot. lol
and your "what is that" to "ten years to be exact" ...that there is sarcasm. lol


message 9: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Ash: Actually the book was shelved as YA in my library so no, didn't know it was middle grade. And I love Disney. I've never watched a Disney movie that was lame/tacky like this book.


Lizzie Hoist there shouldn't be any death in a young kids book!


message 11: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Lizzie: Have you ever seen a Disney movie?


message 12: by La Coccinelle (new)

La Coccinelle @Cait: LOL... Bambi, The Lion King, Frozen (and those are just ones with characters that die during the story; don't forget about all the ones where somebody dies before the story even begins)!


message 13: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @La Coccinelle: Like basically every Disney movie kills off all the parents?!? Brutally?! XD Still scarred from The Fox & The Hound and Dumbo tbh.


message 14: by Bara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bara I think that Moana's parents are alive but I haven't actually seen it...


Geralys Gonzalez Think you are wrong in every way starting with the fact that it's Disney and it's for kids!!! And yes, Moana's parents ARE alive.


message 16: by Bara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bara Geralys wrote: "Think you are wrong in every way starting with the fact that it's Disney and it's for kids!!! And yes, Moana's parents ARE alive."

If the wellbeing of children was really the upmost priority, than they wouldn't introduce a concept that undermines the possitive messages of the original movies. Because the movies present the princesses (and other heroes) as honorable beings. Petty vengefulness is not one of the qualities they posess (even Elena who was pissed off at Shuriki learned that blind bloodthirst doesn't get her the justice she seeks). Yet Descendants tell you right from the start that villains were REVIVED, STRIPPED OF MAGIC AND PROPERTY AND EXILED TO WHO KNOWS WHERE. This. does not. make. sense.

If you give them life, why not to try reform them? Why abolish magic for absolutely anyone when a good chunk of bad people weren't magically talented in the first place? (Frollo, Cindy's stepmother, Gaston) How can Mulan and Shang rule their own kingdom when there was a canonical emperor, did they start a revolution and overthrew him after they saved the whole realm and his throne? Why would they do that?

I'm not going to respect this franchise because this franchise doesn't respect Disney. This is purely and simply a cash cow.

If you want a story that alludes to other princess tales and has the Disney essence of goodness and bringing joy to children, watch Sofia the First but do not look for it in the Descendants books.


message 17: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Barbora: EXACTLY.


message 18: by rachel ☾ (last edited Jun 20, 2017 01:17AM) (new)

rachel ☾ ^I am so sad for all the hate on this review comment thread (and your other reviews lately). What is with all the avid middle grade readers being trolls on this site!? Keep up your spirits, Cait. These haters are obviously uneducated and rude. You're a fantastic reviewer - and wonderful person - and don't deserve it!




message 19: by Tierney (new)

Tierney W o w this book sounds so bad. I knew it was a movie but I had no idea it was a book too


Nia •ShadesOfPaper• Okay, I was laughing at loud with this review! I had no intention to read this book before, but right now... not even close haha!
I love your reviews, they are great! :)


message 21: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Rachel: Eh, I'm used to it by now. It's just popular to hate my opinions (which is confusing because no one has to read my reviews! I'm just one random person!) But anyway I actually read this one last year! :P

@Tierney: I'm definitely nto a fan.

@Nia: Bahaha, I'm glad I was amusing! :D


message 22: by Hikaoru (new)

Hikaoru Omg, i stopped reading this book because it was cringy...


message 23: by christina (new)

christina Love, love, love this review!


message 24: by Christi (new)

Christi So, my 9yo wants to read this but it's in the Young Adult section of our library. I'm guessing it's fine, according to the review and comments.


message 25: by Cha (new)

Cha Delton Well, the 2015 Disney movie Descendants was not based on this book. This book was written and released after the movie. It serves as a prequel to the movie. So I guess your mistake was reading this book without watching the movie first?


message 26: by La Coccinelle (new)

La Coccinelle Cha wrote: "This book was written and released after the movie. It serves as a prequel to the movie. So I guess your mistake was reading this book without watching the movie first?"

That argument ignores most of the actual problems Cait had with the book (the writing, the characters, etc.).

Also, if this book is supposed to be a prequel to the movie, then why should she be reading it after watching the movie? Your logic is confusing...


message 27: by Bara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bara La Coccinelle wrote: "Cha wrote: "This book was written and released after the movie. It serves as a prequel to the movie. So I guess your mistake was reading this book without watching the movie first?"

That argument ..."


Cha wrote: "Well, the 2015 Disney movie Descendants was not based on this book. This book was written and released after the movie. It serves as a prequel to the movie. So I guess your mistake was reading this..."

Moreover it's not an adaptation but a solo adventure of the villain kids so the book should be able to stand on its own even if it is a prequel.


message 28: by Cha (new)

Cha Delton Barbora wrote: "La Coccinelle wrote: "Cha wrote: "This book was written and released after the movie. It serves as a prequel to the movie. So I guess your mistake was reading this book without watching the movie f..."

La Coccinelle wrote: "Cha wrote: "This book was written and released after the movie. It serves as a prequel to the movie. So I guess your mistake was reading this book without watching the movie first?"

That argument ..."


If I hadn't watch the movie or didn't know about it, and read this book first, I too, would've hate this book because of the writing. I don't disagree with Cait's review, but I simply thought maybe if she watched the movie first, she would've understand why this book is written the way it is, and not giving a high expectation to it. Because you know, it's a book based on a Disney Channel movie, so it can't be dark like the Grimms' Fairy Tales. Everything has to be Rated G. Even the most wicked act in the story has to be kid-friendly.


message 29: by Bara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bara Cha wrote: "Barbora wrote: "La Coccinelle wrote: "Cha wrote: "This book was written and released after the movie. It serves as a prequel to the movie. So I guess your mistake was reading this book without watc..."

Oh, it is dark. In a way it's darker than classical fairy tales that feature witches that want to eat kids for example. The very first bad versions of traditional fairy tales had children deal with evil biological mothers then it was revised (because of the children) to stepmothers. Now it is full circle with Evil Queen and Cruella and Maleficent being horrible biological mothers to their own children. Not to mention the protagonist starts so broken she believes she has to manipulate to survive.

As for Disney channel, yeah, it produced some not so great shows but also stories that are nearly timeless and are meaningful and heartwarming. Disney is such a big collossus and employs so many show making crews at once and it's an old company so the CEOs change that it's easy for one crew to make a stupid show while a different crew revives an amazing story.


CC the Great is Not Okay Probably because it was entirely based on a Disney Channel movie? Melissa de la Cruz didn't invent the characters or come up with the direction of the story. It's a spin-off book.


Taylor White Hahahaha I'm dying. I am shocked I actually finished the book but it was a waste of time.


Gianna The descendants movie was great,but this book was terrible. It has nothing to do with the movie. Evie was a stuck-up brat. Carlos wasn't the nerdy boy he is. Jay didn't like sports. Mal was good but didn't save the book.


Sarah This book is one of my favorites!! Don't badmouth it!!


Sarah The movie came out after the book people!!! And it was not based on a Disney channel movie! The movie was based on the book!!!!!


message 35: by C.G. (new) - added it

C.G. Drews @Sarah: This may come as a shock but different people are allowed to like and dislike different things. If this review mortally wounds you, just don't read it!


Katie So I definitely love this series, but I can also agree with mostly everything in your review as well. Like, it's not a good book, but I found it enjoyable with how bad it could be.

Also, it's so dumb that they decided to put in with YA (idk whose decision it was, but it's dumb) because it's definitely not a YA book. I get the whole age thing, but it's still possible for characters to be 16 and be middle grade, so it sucks that it's basically misleading by being in the wrong section basically everywhere!


message 37: by Alexandria- (new) - added it

Alexandria- Inkybooks @cait (paper fury) have you read her blue blood series I haven’t read it in a few years but I used to love it!


message 38: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Eastland So not true!!! It was amazing. I guess it depends on you’re age,but I loved it, the second one was good too.


Hyun Namkung Well Evie didn't invite Mal to her birthday and then mal slams her in a CUPBOARD (duh that happwned) . obviously . and thatt was hilarious . my fa vorite part . They totally deserved of what they got.


message 40: by Leona (new)

Leona  Petrovic This review cracked me up.


noshi  shaikh I think the movies are based on the books.


back to top