Deana's Reviews > Woodswoman I: Living Alone in the Adirondack Wilderness

Jan 26, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction, 2008, read-friend
Recommended to Deana by: Mother-in-law
Recommended for: people interested in nature and living in the wilderness
Read in June, 2008

This book came highly recommended by my boyfriend's mother. It is the first in a series of four books - true stories about the author and her life living in a cabin she built herself on a lake in the Adirondacks. I quite disliked her writing style, I'll be honest with you. It was jumpy, some of her word choices were very strange, and the detours she took from the main story of the chapter to describe things were quite distracting. Many times, by the time she got back to the point of the story, I had forgotten what she had been talking about in the first place. Also, much of it is just description. There are stories, and all the actual stories are worth reading. But there are also pages upon pages of description of things like ... the length of the boards used to put up a certain wall of her cabin. I dunno, it was just a very tedious read. I skipped more of it than I'd like to admit.

But, like I said, there were so many good stories there. I'd recommend suffering your way through the rest of it to get the stories. The story of her pet fox. The story of how she fell in love with her first husband. The story of rowing across the lake and watching the ice freeze up behind her. The story of her hike through the mountains and the history she found there. The story of the locals placing a 50lb barrel on the frozen-over lake and making bets as to when it would fall through the ice. And just the story of her survival in general. It was really inspiring and very interesting - I felt like I learned a lot while being somewhat entertained simultaneously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Woodswoman I.