Melanie P. Smith's Reviews > A Ring of Truth

A Ring of Truth by Val Tobin

Aug 19, 2015

bookshelves: reviewed

This was a great second book of the series. A Ring of Truth picks up where the Experiencers left off. The plot was well developed and there was never a dull moment as each of the characters struggle to deal with the circumstances they have found themselves in. The bad guys get worse and the good guys fight a good fight. In this installment we get to know just how evil and manipulative Cornell is. We saw a glimpse of that in book one, but the extremes he goes to in order to achieve his goals are so well described that he truly does become the man you hate. It is always satisfying when a character is so well written that just reading the story evokes strong emotions (hatred, love, empathy). Ms. Tobin achieves this level of character development in A Ring of Truth. The more I got to know Cornell, the more I wanted Michael, Carolyn and the others to win.

Another thing I liked about this book was how the author took the characters from book one and gave them another level of depth. From the weakest supporting character to the strong main characters, everyone grew as they overcame what seemed like insurmountable obstacles. Carolyn was forced to make impossible decisions in an attempt to save and protect those she loves. Michael had to choose between keeping his promise to Carolyn and trusting the aliens who were there to help him. Arnie, Sam and the other remaining characters each faced their own difficult trials as they tried to survive in an ever changing world. By the end of this book Carolyn was no longer naive and fragile. Michael was more compassionate. And the supporting characters that were left had grown in amazing ways as well. I’m not going to go into the story line because of spoilers but I would highly recommend this series to anyone who loves a good story whether they are fans of Sci-Fi novels or not. A Ring of Truth will not disappoint.

Melanie P. Smith

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Ring of Truth.