Bookaholics's Reviews > Lily of the Nile

Dec 28, 2010

Lily of the Nile by Stephanie Dray
Historical Romance – Jan 4th, 2011
3 1/2 stars

Princess Selene, the last Princess of the Ptolemies, and daughter of Cleopatra and Mark Antony. After the death of her parents and the ransack of Alexandria, Selene and her brothers Helios and Philadelphus are captured by the Romans and send to Rome to learn to live like Romans under the watchful eye of the Emperor Octavius. Unbeknown to the Romans, they are no ordinary Egyptian royalty, for they are blessed with magic bestowed to them by their mother and Isis. Selene and her twin brother, Helios, are known as the Two Saviors, two people who are destined to bring forth the Golden Age. Can they survive the political intrigues of Rome to fulfill their destiny?

It is inevitable that this book draws comparison with Cleopatra’s Daughter by Michelle Moran (which I also reviewed before) since both books focuses on the life of Selene in Rome. However, that’s where the similarities end. Where else Moran’s book is a straightforward historical novel, the Lily of the Nile has fantasy/magical elements in it. In Stephanie Dray’s version, Selene has the ability to communicate with Isis, who carves bloody messages into her arms. Magic is prevalent in this book, which makes for a fresh read.

Unfortunately, Selene’s character is a bit unbelievable. She is childish and petulant. For a princess who grew up in a volatile era, I would think that she will handle unwanted changes with grace and maturity. Instead, she schemes and sulks like a typical teenager, which was disconcerting. As much as I sympathized with her, I just couldn’t like her very much. Still, Dray’s stylized portrayal of Selene’s life combined with the fantasy elements makes this a fascinating read.

Reviewed by Pauline from the Bookaholic Romance Club

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lily of the Nile.

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Williams If I loved Moran's portrayal of Selene and Juba will I like this book? I fear most that because I love Moran's interpretation it will hinder my ability to enjoy this book. Do you think that is true?