Emily Northcutt's Reviews > Flawed Dogs: The Shocking Raid on Westminster

Flawed Dogs by Berkeley Breathed

Dec 27, 2010

bookshelves: children-s-lit, fantasy-fiction, ya

Allow me to set a scene for you, review reader. Picture a comfy couch covered in snuggly blankets where a reader is perched with two miniature dachshunds ready to read a book featuring another wiener dog. Picture the reader clutching the two dogs close as she reads the opening scene. Sam (the book's main character) has laid his long, broken, little body on the floor of a dog fighting ring. That, my friends, is how I read this book. I had to hope that Sam was going to make it and we were all going to stay on that couch until I found out.

Every time something heartbreaking happened to Sam we got upset and every time something hilarious happened we rejoiced. It really is a roller coaster ride filled with Breathed's brand of humor. I grew up with Opus being one of my favorite cartoon characters, so that probably says something about me. This is a book for animal lovers of nearly all ages (grades 5+ to Adult). Upper elementary and middle school readers should be the best fit, but dachshund enthusiasts of all ages will certainly want to read this.

Oh, and the artwork is a HUGE bonus. It is alternately heartbreaking and hilarious, as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flawed Dogs.

Started Reading
January 1, 2010 – Finished Reading
December 27, 2010 – Shelved
December 27, 2010 – Shelved as: children-s-lit
December 27, 2010 – Shelved as: fantasy-fiction
December 27, 2010 – Shelved as: ya

Lauren Hey I loved this book to I rated it 5 stars I read it in 4th grade but it was kind of hard to understand I think 5th and up was a good choice