Kasey Cocoa's Reviews > The Windup Girl

The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

did not like it
bookshelves: post-apocalyptic, science-fiction
Read 2 times. Last read August 19, 2015.

It should have been a solid enjoyable read but sadly it isn't. Well, unless you enjoy reading about objectified women who serve no purpose but to insert a reason to write about rape. Oh, and this same woman has to suddenly kill someone without understanding the reasoning behind it or the ramifications because of it. The world building was a bit shaky in that it is there but so much is left unexplained. The plot has great potential if not for the various loopholes that just don't make sense even in a SF novel. Even if you cut out the rape, fix the world-building and repair the plot holes you are still left with things that just don't add up or are cheap writing techniques I despise. If those things don't bother you then you'll likely love this novel and rave about how great it is. Perhaps my dislike of this read is purely due to my standards of what makes a great book. I invite you to read it and make your own opinions as everybody has different tastes. I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. This in no way influenced my opinion, which may or may not mirror your own and that's fine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Windup Girl.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
June 17, 2015 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
June 17, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading
August 19, 2015 – Shelved
August 19, 2015 – Shelved as: post-apocalyptic
August 19, 2015 – Shelved as: science-fiction
August 19, 2015 – Shelved as: science-fiction (Paperback Edition)
August 19, 2015 – Finished Reading