Sioux Trett's Reviews > Just a Few Inches

Just a Few Inches by Tara St. Pierre

This book took me by surprise. I'm old enough to remember seeing Lily Tomlin in the Incredible Shrinking Woman (on TV, at least), so I thought I knew what I was in for when I picked it up. I was mistaken. Yes, it's about a girl who is shrinking... but it is about SO MUCH MORE than that.

Carrie is a very relatable character. She is likable and it's fun and enlightening to see the story through her eyes. It's difficult to remain engaged in a first person narrative when the person whose head you're occupying isn't engaging. This book does NOT suffer from that problem one bit. She is a great character and I found myself rooting for her again and again.

One of the things I loved most is that we get to experience her ever-changing perspective. As she daily loses inches, the world around her seems to grow larger. Keeping track of this and making the challenges and changes realistic must have been an incredible feat for the author. But making them seem real and seamless to the reader is an even greater achievement. It never felt forced. It never felt false. It just felt like we were watching it happen with her.

Another thing I loved was that the message of dealing with body issues screams loud and clear without getting too preachy. There are a few times when it feels a tiny bit heavy-handed, but considering the circumstances and the fact that the author is writing about a girl who is writing about her issues as a want-to-be journalist... I think it is handled very well. And without spoiling anything, let me just say that when we get to the end and she makes her own discovery and subsequent speech, it will bring a tear to your eye.

I definitely recommend this book. Every woman I know has faced some sort of body image issues, and this book doesn't have magic answers, it doesn't have a secret formula, it just understands and helps us to see ourselves a little better and brighter than we did before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just a Few Inches.

August 18, 2015 – Started Reading